Failing to wipe drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggs

Cadet
Hi,
I have one of the Backblaze pod units, and I have it entirely filled with 2TB drives. I am currently using a Sandisk Cruzer flash drive to run FreeNAS version 8.3. I have one volume created with the first 20 or so disks, and I am trying to create another volume with the remainder. However, the volume creation continually fails to format disks ada35-39. If I try to do a standalone format of the disks in the View Disks > Wipe area, it spits out the below error for each disk.
Code:
Error: Failed to wipe ada35: dd: /dev/ada35: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.662577 secs (0 bytes/sec)

I've tried disabling the AHCI setting on the motherboard through BIOS as suggested by someone via a google search, but this did not help. I've tried replacing all of these drives with brand new drives that I completely zeroed before installing. I also tried resetting my config back to factory default, but I still receive the same error message when formatting these disks.

diggs

Cadet
I've also tried to create single volumes out of each of these disks, in both UFS and ZFS formats. I receive errors like this:
Code:
Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada35"

JaimieV

Guru
If you take one of the problem disks and put it into a lower-numbered connection, will it format there?

If so, there's probably an issue with whatever adapters/expanders you're using to plug in 35-39.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree. After looking at the setup of your awesome unit it could be the PCI SATA card/cable or the port expander for that one group or maybe it's just that one drive causing problems. 80TB worth of drives, now that is a lot of money. Sure hope you're not running this on a Atom CPU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.