Private/Family NAS - Pure SMB Datasets?

thomas-hn

Explorer
Hello,

if the (True-)NAS system is exclusively used for private/family stuff and at least one Windows machine is used to access the data, does it make sense to set the configuration of all datasets to SMB?
For my understanding, if at least one user uses Windows to access the NAS the shares will be SMB and, therefore, all shared datasets need to be SMB.
In case there are further non-shared datasets on the server (e.g. an archive), they should also be SMB, because the origin data will most times still come from Windows machines.
Is my understandig correct that "General" datasets with case-sensitive file/directory names make no sense in this case?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas

Davvo

MVP
I have no clue what does setting a dataset to SMB means, but for my home use it works any way.

Whattteva

Wizard
if the (True-)NAS system is exclusively used for private/family stuff and at least one Windows machine is used to access the data, does it make sense to set the configuration of all datasets to SMB?
It really depends on what you're trying to do. If you plan to only have one user have exclusive read/write access on each dataset, then you don't need "SMB" dataset (I assume what you mean is Windows ACL's). You really only need ACL's if you plan to have 2 or more users with read/write access to a common dataset. If you don't need that, then simple UNIX permissions are fine. You also need Windows ACL's if you want to be able to change permissions from Windows clients using explorer.

Davvo

MVP