Best practice when sharing datasets via SMB/NFS (permissions, users, etc.)?

Cantello

Cadet
Hi all!

I have recently updated to TrueNAS 12 and would now like to unclutter my shares and clean up my permissions. ESXi provides VMs for TrueNAS & a separate Ubuntu instance. In TN I have set up one main pool with a mirrored vdev (2x10TB) and a smaller second pool (single disk provided by ESXi, SSD, temporary workdisk). From the main pool I'd like to share out several datasets via SMB (media files mostly) and one dataset via NFS & SMB (mostly NFS) to use as a backup destination from linux & Windows clients. All shares are also mounted by the Ubuntu machine where all my docker containers reside.
So, the shares have to be accessible from Windows and linux with minimal permission problems. All data is only shared locally in our household, currently no home directories or private folders are necessary.
How would I set up the shares in TrueNAS, with what kind of user/group and what permissions would I give them? On the Ubuntu machine I have one main user and one additional user that is running the docker containers, on the Windows side, I have (currently) two users with separate accounts. Would it make sense to have the exact same users on TrueNAS, Ubuntu & Windows so that confusion in minimised? Does the separate docker user even make sense (okay, not a TrueNAS question but maybe someone has some info on that)?

Thanks for any kind of help/insight/constructive criticism! :smile:

Code:
ESXi 7.0
  |
  +--- TrueNAS 12
  |  |
  | +--- Pool 1
  |    | +--- Vdev 1 (mirrored disks)
  |    |   |
  |    |    +-- Dataset 1 (shared via SMB)
  |    |    +-- Dataset 2 (shared via SMB)
  |    |    +-- Dataset 3 (shared via SMB & NFS)
  |    |
  |    +--- Pool 2
  |
  +--- Ubuntu 20.04LTS (mounting the shares from DS1-3 & Pool 2)