Plex Server Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robocop86

Dabbler
Just read that my Motherboard doesen't support ECC, what will happen if I put them in anyway?

diedrichg

Wizard
Just read that my Motherboard doesen't support ECC, what will happen if I put them in anyway?
The Internet has many different answers from no, it won't even post to, yeah just not in ECC mode. It basically comes down to the BIOS of it will allow the RAM to run in a non-ECC mode. Sorry we didn't catch that for you earlier.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you're going from a SAS controller to SATA drives, you need a SAS breakout cable, sometimes called a forward breakout cable. You do not want a reverse breakout cable, which looks the same, but is wired differently. The breakout cable will connect to the SAS port and give your four SATA cables.

Robocop86

Dabbler

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just FYI, I do not like the Dell H310 becasue you may need to jury rig it with a piece of tape over a few pins to get it to work.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Just FYI, I do not like the Dell H310 becasue you may need to jury rig it with a piece of tape over a few pins to get it to work.

I have run the Dell H310 SAS controller on three different models of Supermicro server board and on two different Dell Precision Workstations models plus Dell ships them with a bunch of other systems both server and workstation. They should be just as compatible as the LSI card that they are functionally equivalent to. The only people I have heard of having problems are people trying to use them on OLD hardware that never supported ANY kind of RAID controller because it was low-end desktop gear to begin with.
If an H310 wouldn't work, it is most likely that no LSI / Avago / Broadcom HBA would work and for the same reason.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's the SMCLK and SMDAT signals and failrly well published in the internet. I believe it has to do with the Dell H310 not being used on a Dell motherboard. On my SM motherboard I can disable the SMBus lines by moving two jumpers. Unfortunately not all motherboards are able to make that adjustment hence the taping of a few pins.

Eh, I was just offering some personal experience to try and stay clear of the Dell H310.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's the SMCLK and SMDAT signals and failrly well published in the internet. I believe it has to do with the Dell H310 not being used on a Dell motherboard. On my SM motherboard I can disable the SMBus lines by moving two jumpers. Unfortunately not all motherboards are able to make that adjustment hence the taping of a few pins.

Eh, I was just offering some personal experience to try and stay clear of the Dell H310.

Yes, the H310 will cause problems due to SMCLK and SMDAT on some boards. I've definitely had problems with them on the HP Business PC's that we typically abuse to flash firmware on things, and these aren't "low-end desktop gear." They usually work fine in Dell gear. I've been unfortunate enough to have another dozen or so of these arrive in the shop as part of a refurb project so I'm quietly cursing at them because the crossflash procedure is a bit of a bear.

Was that you I sent one of our H310's to, @joeschmuck ? :smile:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Dell's getting its presents stolen this Christmas...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I got a stack of Dell R510's that are going to be made into FreeNAS boxes... looks like I already struck. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.