Plex Server Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
This is not a FreeNAS machine. FreeNAS does not support GPUs.

Robocop86

Dabbler
This is not a FreeNAS machine. FreeNAS does not support GPUs.
Thats just so I could use Windows 10 before when I was planning to use the PC as a Plex Server and buy a new NAS with 8 bay's. But then one friend recommended FreeNas to me and after Reading and Youtubing for a couple of weeks I'm sold.

diedrichg

Wizard
You will be the first tester on Ryzen hardware (that I'm aware of) on this forum. Your experience will be a great asset to the community if you decide to share the results of the performance of FreeNAS on an untested platform.

Robocop86

Dabbler
You will be the first tester on Ryzen hardware (that I'm aware of) on this forum. Your experience will be a great asset to the community if you decide to share the results of the performance of FreeNAS on an untested platform.
Of course I will share! Just need the final parts and the build will start for my new Plex Server. Just a Little unsure of the fans when dealing with a machine that will be on 24/7, never built a NAS before.

diedrichg

Wizard
You will want ECC RAM

diedrichg

Wizard
Please read this hardware guide first:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/46868/

If you've already purchased the parts, then I personally look forward to hearing the compatibility results with FreeNAS.

If you haven't purchase the parts yet I strongly suggest you reconsider what you listed above - if nothing but for compatibility with the FreeNAS OS.

If you can change the RAM, and your data integrity (critical files stored on FreeNAS) are of top importance, then yes you should consider ECC RAM. There are numerous discussions on this topic in the forums.

Robocop86

Dabbler
Please read this hardware guide first:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/46868/

If you've already purchased the parts, then I personally look forward to hearing the compatibility results with FreeNAS.

If you haven't purchase the parts yet I strongly suggest you reconsider what you listed above - if nothing but for compatibility with the FreeNAS OS.

If you can change the RAM, and your data integrity (critical files stored on FreeNAS) are of top importance, then yes you should consider ECC RAM. There are numerous discussions on this topic in the forums.
https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/dat..._valueram_ddr4_2133mhz_ecc_8gb_cl15_dimm_2rx8 how about these then? I can easily replace this part of the build.

diedrichg

Wizard

chris crude

Patron
All this talk of ECC RAm and noone has mentioned this?
  • DeLOCK PCIe SATA x4 RAID
FreeNAS doesnt like RAID cards, preferred is an HBA which you can passthrough data directly without RAID instructions. Let FreeNAS do the RAID work.

Robocop86

Dabbler
All this talk of ECC RAm and noone has mentioned this?
  • DeLOCK PCIe SATA x4 RAID
FreeNAS doesnt like RAID cards, preferred is an HBA which you can passthrough data directly without RAID instructions. Let FreeNAS do the RAID work.
Yeah, but if you don't use it as a Raid and only as a SATA expansion, will it be problems?

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are very few (i.e., none to my knowledge) reliably good SATA cards. If you want a reliably good controller, get a SAS HBA of the LSI/Broadcom/Avago variety.

Robocop86

Dabbler
So will the Raid card that I suggested and the memory card(s) FreeNas? Or maybe the cheap Sata card?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So will the Raid card that I suggested and the memory card(s) FreeNas?
Will they run? They should. Will they be recommended? No, for reasons discussed above.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, sorry, I was looking at the RAM in your OP. Those look fine. For a HBA, any of the LSI-based cards will work well--their branded 9211-8i, the IBM M1015 or M1115, the Dell H200 or (I think) H310. They're all pretty much the same card, but most will require flashing the proper firmware to the card.

Robocop86

Dabbler
Ah, sorry, I was looking at the RAM in your OP. Those look fine. For a HBA, any of the LSI-based cards will work well--their branded 9211-8i, the IBM M1015 or M1115, the Dell H200 or (I think) H310. They're all pretty much the same card, but most will require flashing the proper firmware to the card.
Is there any card that you don't have to flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.