Will this TrueNAS?

Occularis

Cadet
Pretty uncontrovsial build, probably, but review appreciated. An ECC build.

Chassis: Fractal Design Node 804

Mainboard: ASRock X570D4U-2L2T

RAM: 2 x Kingston KSM32ES8/16ME 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz ECC Unbuffered DIMM

Storage: 4 x WD Red 8TB (CMR) (3 x WD80EFZX and 1 x WD80EFAX)

Processor: Ryzen 5 3600

PSU: 450W Seasonic PRIME Fanless PX, Full Modular, 80 PLUS Platinum, SLI/CrossFire

Boot: 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 thumb drive, possibly a mirrored pair of these

Graphics: ASUS GT710-4H-SL-2GD5 GeForce GT 710 2 GB GDRR5 — this card will probably only be present for the initial setup

My setup will be a pool made of a raidz2 vdev.

Emphasis of this build is data redundancy/availability over raw speed of access.

I’ll use system for file storage (mix of large and small), possibly plex transcoding, some jailbreak stuff, a few VMs probably. Maybe timemachine backup.

I have a few SSDs available (eg Samsung EVO) but not sure if worth adding to system. From what I understand, I don’t need SLOG or L2ARC here.

Is it worth making a mirror with 2 SSDs for possible hot/fast access? Eventually I am getting a 10GBe switch but current switch is 1GBe.

The platinum PSU is probably overkill? Gold 80 probably would be fine.

I’ll just use stock fans in the chassis initially and see how that goes.

I don’t expect this system to be getting hammered all the time.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
This is pretty close to what I had planned initially for my new FreeNAS system. Instead I ended up with a used Supermicro board X9SRi-F, which came with a Xeon E5 1620 (4 cores with HT). This pretty old CPU is already overkill (at least without Plex here) and the big advantage for me was that the board has 10 ports for hard disks (6 SATA + 4 SAS). Also, DDR3 ECC RDIMMs are ridiculously cheap compared to unbuffered DDR4.

In other words: At a first glance I see no issue, but there are alternatives worth considering.

Good luck and have fun with your new NAS!

Inxsible

Guru
If you are in the US, then definitely consider buying used server components off ebay and you will get a similar build for much less or a superior build for similar price.

HenchRat

Dabbler
That AS Rock board will be fine. Swap your USB boot drives for actual drives. There's an M.2 NVME slot on that board that'd work for that.

You'll have 8 SATA ports via Oculink to play with, so you could go with a mirrored pair of drives for OS and still have 2 ports left over.