Sanity check - AIO Virtualized Freenas ESXi build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
Those CPU's definitely draw more power and unfortunately electricity is stupid expensive here.
You will have to do some research here. The ~120watt TDP is the MAX. This is under full load and it sounds like most of the time it will be idle-ish. For example, I have an ESXi host with 2 X5650 CPUs, 128GB of RAM, and a 10gbe card and it idles around 120 watts. each one of those CPUs is rated at 95 Watts and is older than what your looking at. 32nm vs 22nm.

Sphinxicus

Dabbler
I have an ESXi host with 2 X5650 CPUs, 128GB of RAM, and a 10gbe card and it idles around 120 watts

ok wow i see. Thats pretty damn good compared to what i was expecting. Plus I've just realised that I have 2 x 8GB sticks of DDR3 EEC Ram in my HP server that I can rob. Not sure what speed it is though. Definitely got a good bit of thinking to do now.

Really appreciate everyones input to this thread. Its all been helpful!

Sphinxicus

Dabbler
You will have to do some research here

Ok, looks like that generation of motherboard is far too hard to get hold of reliably here (even looking on that auction site)...

So in an attempt to beef up the processor at the expense of clock speed and my budget i've come back to the following CPU/motherboard combo

CPU: Xeon E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz (Six cores)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F
RAM: 16Gig stick of Crucial 288 Pin 16GB CL15 DDR4 DIMM Memory Module (CT16G4RFD4213)

Q: Does that seem to fit my use case better?

Q: Narrow ILM vs Square ILM - Does this just apply to the motherboard and heatsink? I.e. Narrow ILM will need a narrow heatsink because the mounting holes are in a different place? Or does it apply to the actual CPU also? I.e. is there a narrow version of the E5-2620vs as well as a square one? I had a look on intels ark pages but only find this CPU listed as FCLGA2011-3 but thought i would ask.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.