New parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robocop86

Dabbler
So I have tried Freenas now for a year with this build that was suppose to be a Plex PC:

I want to change the R5 to a Fractal Design Node 804 and some ECC memorie cards, and a new mATX mobo with 8 SATA ports, any suggestions?

kdragon75

Wizard
That CPU does not seem to support ECC memory. You would need a new CPU, memory, and motherboard.

IQless

Contributor

IQless

Contributor
I think it's ugly. It dosent look good in the living room.
Hehe, well.. WAF can be a very important factor for some (read: my "better" part)

kdragon75

Wizard
@Robocop86 take a look at the hardware guides under the resource tab on the forum.
Are you trying to transcode 4k streams?

Robocop86

Dabbler
So no suggestions? And I was told by the guys who helped me with the install that the cpu support ecc.

pro lamer

Guru
I like to have the option, Only using it for Plexserver.
Hevc or just h.264? A colleague of mine decodes some h.265 using roughly 14500 passmark CPU but I would need to find my notes to give more details... EDIT2: and they encode using a GPU. FreeNAS doesn't support GPU encoding. IIRC Plex does but different OS is needed.

EDIT: anyway IIRC there is a chance that 1800X (15000 passmark) would deal with decoding h.265 but transcoding is more than just decoding...

EDIT2: if you need to transcode HEVC you may consider having two separate rigs: the one you have for transcoding and a second one, possibly cheaper, just for storage but with reliable ECC support (I've also read (like @IQless who mentioned it below) somewhere that Ryzen's ECC support is not tested thoroughly...)

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:

IQless

Contributor
And I was told by the guys who helped me with the install that the cpu support ecc.
This is a bit of a grey area.. IIRC AMD Ryzen does "support" ECC memory, but it is not validated on the consumer platform... So you might get ECC memory sticks to work, but the whole error correction part might not work correctly. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, and this is out of date information).
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance
But that makes no difference if you eventually go with this RAM, which is not ECC :)

pro lamer

Guru
But that makes no difference if you eventually go with this RAM, which is not ECC :)
the OP wrote wants to change RAM

Sent from my mobile phone

IQless

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.