First build, fast, quiet and cool... too many choices, so many unknowns.

serfnoob

Dabbler
Hello again,
I've been off thinking (or making more problems) I find the whole sockets and chipsets compatibility thing confusing.
My research says the i3 9100 has ECC Support and the E3C246D4U has ECC support and should take the 9th gen i3 with the latests bios?

jgreco says I can tune down CPU if I find the power draw to high. With all that considered will this build work?

CPU
Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $211

Motherboard
ASRock E3C246D4U Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $427.90

CPU Cooler
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $116

Memory
Micron 16GB DDR4 ECC 2666MHz RDIMM x 2 @ $199.00/each

Case
Fractal Design Define R5 $199.00
wanted the node 804 but all gone in australia

Power Supply
be quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $139.00

Wired Network Adapter
OEM Intel X550-T2 10G $370

Case Fan
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan x 3 @ @29/each

Total $1950 ~ exchange rates and shipping variables

jgreco, whats the chance you can hold my hand through the under clocking if its required down the line?

I'm out of my depth, considerably. Would like to get parts ordered before Australia runs out of everything.

Thanks again and sorry for the partial bump.

Etorix

Wizard
A NAS can only be as quiet as its drives. HDDs are noisy. The Node 804 makes for a fine NAS, but with its mesh top it just lets the sound out and is not quiet. You'll be better with a case which has sufficient cooling but no direct path from the drives to your ears—so no mesh panel—and not too many drives.

Why do you want a GPU? You have not mentioned Plex or transcoding. The BMC in your (fine!) server board picks provides basic display through its VGA port, which is enough for installing.

The choice of PSU depends on how many drives you expect to have.

C246 + i3-9100(F) definitively works… but with ECC UDIMM, not RDIMM (the Xeon D-1541 would take either, but not a mix of both; RDIMM is cheaper).

serfnoob

Dabbler
A NAS can only be as quiet as its drives. HDDs are noisy. The Node 804 makes for a fine NAS, but with its mesh top it just lets the sound out and is not quiet. You'll be better with a case which has sufficient cooling but no direct path from the drives to your ears—so no mesh panel—and not too many drives.

Why do you want a GPU? You have not mentioned Plex or transcoding. The BMC in your (fine!) server board picks provides basic display through its VGA port, which is enough for installing.

The choice of PSU depends on how many drives you expect to have.

C246 + i3-9100(F) definitively works… but with ECC UDIMM, not RDIMM (the Xeon D-1541 would take either, but not a mix of both; RDIMM is cheaper).

Thanks for solid answers. I’m so noob I was unsure how I would get a video signal out if there wasn’t a graphics card :( hope I still have a monitor that can take VGA :D

I don’t need it to do any transcoding, that can be done by my edit suite or even the old Mac Pro if it’s endless queue.

The i3 option is a lot cheaper. Has almost everything I want… fewer but faster cores still just concerned about power/heat.

I don’t mind the sound of HDD underloud, it’s a fluctuating sound.

The QNAP and all three replacements they sent me were just straight up loud. 40+ dBa constant tone in an edit suite that’s ambient 19 to 23 dBa.

I want 8 x 8tb ironwolf pro in raidz2 I think?
That should get me close to saturating the 10gbe NIC?

An ssd as boot drive and maybe a faster pool of m.2 for auto saves and render cache down the line if I ever get that 40gbe up and running.

Thanks again for your knowledge etorix
Really appreciate people taking the time to try and teach me… anything, I know I’m slow it must not be easy.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Since 10 Gbps seems important to you: What workload do you want to handle? Think about transfer rate and IOPS. I have re-checked the entire thread, and unless I overlooked something, there was never a discussion about the use-case. The latter is critical to make useful recommendations, though.

To saturate 10 Gbps you will need SSDs, normal HDDs would only work if you had many (a lot more than 8). And a RAIDZ2 will in practice not saturate 10 Gbps for many scenarios. You need to think about not only sequential reads of huge files but also random read and write access to many small ones (again, think IOPS). Unless you are happy to only have the full speed for copying video files, that is.

I would like to come back to older hardware. This was a little bit brushed away with the argument of an old Mac Pro. The CPU mentioned for the latter was before Sandy/Ivy Bridge and allegedly that jump in generations makes all the difference. For comparison: I am running a
Supermicro X9SRi-F with Xeon E5 1620 and 64 GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs and 8 x 16 TB Seagate Exos in RAIDZ2. The idle power consumption is below 100 Watts. I bought things in September 2020 and paid around 230 Euros for board, CPU, and RAM. Prices have probably gone up, but still.

The point I am trying to make is that there is old gear and (very) old gear. Yes, your Mac Pro is probably unsuitable because its CPU is one generation too old. But that does not mean that something 5-10 years old is unsuitable. I could have afforded something brand new without problems. But why would I? Switching the board can be done easily should I ever need more CPU power.

serfnoob

Dabbler
More good points. I have nothing against old gear part from it’s hard to source here in Australia with a semi urgent timeline.

The qnap TVs-672xt with 6 x 8TB would get pretty good read writes 800/900 on 10gbe and 1000/1100 on thunderbolt 3.
Happy to go raidz1 for a speed bump.

My workload is just video, multiple streams of all types of video. The software likes to keep metadata and auto saves there too.

I’ll build what ever works… I just don’t know what that is because… I’m new.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With a D1541, I doubt you can save more than a watt or two over its already incredibly low idle.

serfnoob

Dabbler
Thanks for all the help,
I've bitten the bullet hard and gone with the overkill option.

ASRock D1541D4U-2T8R uATX
Fractal Design Define R5
be quiet! Pure Power 11 Gold Modular 750W
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM Fan

Still need to order ram...
Will 32gb work for my use case, essential 1 client machine with 8 x 8tb ironwolf pro?

If so can I run as a single stick 1 x 32gb or do I need to run pairs, 2 x 16gb sorry major noob. I did search but couldn't get straight answers.

Single stick is cheaper and makes it easier and cheaper if I want to double the ram in the future.

I have read the stock cooler on the D1541 works well but can be noisy. Are there any options for replacing it if I find it too loud?
I found a thread on here where he just replaced the fan with cable ties but that thread is now locked.

thanks again.
O.