HBA and M.2 question on new build

SteveKB

Dabbler
I'm just finishing up my new build (in Node 804) with a ASUS Prime Z690M-Plus D motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z690M-Plus-D4-motherboard-Thunderbolt/dp/B09JRW446Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp) and had a couple of questions:

1. Since the server will be in a different room from my router, what are your thoughts on M.2 WiFi? Is it supported?
2. I also purchased an HBA that is PCIe 2.0 x8 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2AC40Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1), but my motherboard has a couple of choices that can accommodate it. The specs say 1 x PCIe 5.0 x16 (@x16) 1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (max. @x4). Does it matter which slot I plug the HBA in and/or is this HBA too old and I need to look at a new one?

pschatz100

Guru
1. TrueNAS doesn't support WiFi. If you want to connect the NAS to your network via wireless, you will have to use a bridge.
2. Either PCIe slot will give you the same performance with the HBA. I would use the slower PCIe slot as the performance will be limited by the HBA. If you are using spinning disks, it will be fast enough so don't worry. If you plan to use SSD's then you should get a faster HBA.

General comment: the motherboard has lots of features you will not be using for a NAS such as audio, RGB Led's, etc. I would turn them off in the bios.

SteveKB

Dabbler
1. TrueNAS doesn't support WiFi. If you want to connect the NAS to your network via wireless, you will have to use a bridge.
2. Either PCIe slot will give you the same performance with the HBA. I would use the slower PCIe slot as the performance will be limited by the HBA. If you are using spinning disks, it will be fast enough so don't worry. If you plan to use SSD's then you should get a faster HBA.

General comment: the motherboard has lots of features you will not be using for a NAS such as audio, RGB Led's, etc. I would turn them off in the bios.
Amazing answer sir! Just what I was looking for.
And the bonus too...didn't even think about turning off the nonsense in the BIOS. Thanks for the hint there.