Plex Media Server issue

Techie88

Dabbler
stop your jail and put in gateway IP in IP4 Default Router instead of having it at "auto" and see if that helps
Sadly that didn’t help :(

GBillR

Contributor
Admittedly, I am not proficient with Jails, but I need to know: Where did that IP address come from? Is that your public IP? That is not inside private address space. Shouldn't there be an address specified there that is inside the same private subnet as the TrueNAS? How would the jail be accessible to anyone if that is the IP, unless there is a router with a static route or a port forward? Even then, that IP address should not be your public IP. A port forward rule (not even needed with Plex) could forward to a private IP inside your network, but you would still need a private IP for the Jail, unless you bridge the NAS interface, in which case you could use THAT private IP address in the port forward rule.

Maybe my inexperience with Jails is showing here... but I know how VM routing is done in other hypervisors, and that seems off to me.

Techie88

Dabbler
Admittedly, I am not proficient with Jails, but I need to know: Where did that IP address come from? Is that your public IP? That is not inside private address space. Shouldn't there be an address specified there that is inside the same private subnet as the TrueNAS? How would the jail be accessible to anyone if that is the IP, unless there is a router with a static route or a port forward? Even then, that IP address should not be your public IP. A port forward rule (not even needed with Plex) could forward to a private IP inside your network, but you would still need a private IP for the Jail, unless you bridge the NAS interface, in which case you could use THAT private IP address in the port forward rule.

Maybe my inexperience with Jails is showing here... but I know how VM routing is done in other hypervisors, and that seems off to me.
The ip range is 88.92.18.0 subnet is 255.255.255.0
All that matters is the last number set.
It shouldn’t matter what the IP address scheme is as long as it can find the internet right?

Techie88

Dabbler

That is my private ip range and it shouldn’t matter what it is

Techie88

Dabbler
The jail and the TrueNAS and my whole network run off 88.92.18.0 subnet 255.255.255.0

Techie88

Dabbler

stop your jail and put in gateway IP in IP4 Default Router instead of having it at "auto" and see if that helps
Sadly that didn’t work which is annoying. My RSP (Retail Service Provider (ISP)) Has CGNAT but I have had them turn it off for me.

Last edited:

GBillR

Contributor
The ip range is 88.92.18.0 subnet is 255.255.255.0
All that matters is the last number set.
It shouldn’t matter what the IP address scheme is as long as it can find the internet right?
I'll let someone else chime in here with a second opinion. I believe that it does matter. What is the IP address of your TrueNAS? Can you screenshot your network interface configs?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That is my private ip range and it shouldn’t matter what it is
Until it does. IP collision is the entire reason that certain address ranges are designated private address range.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That is my private ip range
No, it isn't; it's a public IP subnet that you don't own (it's part of a Class B subnet owned by an ISP in Norway, according to arin.net). And this is almost certainly your problem--you can use any addresses you want on a truly private network, but when you try to interface it with the outside world, there will be problems.

Techie88

Dabbler
No, it isn't; it's a public IP subnet that you don't own (it's part of a Class B subnet owned by an ISP in Norway, according to arin.net). And this is almost certainly your problem--you can use any addresses you want on a truly private network, but when you try to interface it with the outside world, there will be problems.
I’ll turn my network back to 192.168.0.0 subnet 255.255.255.0

Mark_the_Red

Dabbler
^^^
I had all kinds of issues with PLex when i had a non 192.xxxxx network. On paper it should work, but I'm just not smart enough to diagnose it. When I switched it to 192.168.xxx, it worked fine with the same steps in the videos. Also, I had major problems with permissions with Plex on FreeNas 11.3. For example, whenever I wanted plex to add files to the library I had to write "chown -R plex /media" for plex to take ownership of the media so it could see it to update. Appartently I was the only person to have this problem although I followed the instructions video to a letter. It works great and has been solid for a year, but I am terrified of going to Freenas 12.0 because I KNOW my ownership permissions hack will break Truenas. Such is the life of a noob user using bleeding edge software designed for coding experts personal uses.

ThreeDee

Guru
I'm not an expert and I use TrueNAS 12.03 without issue .. latest Plex update is giving me a little hiccup ..but that's not the fault of TrueNAS at all..
Such is the life of a noob user using bleeding edge software designed for coding experts personal uses.

Techie88

Dabbler
^^^
I had all kinds of issues with PLex when i had a non 192.xxxxx network. On paper it should work, but I'm just not smart enough to diagnose it. When I switched it to 192.168.xxx, it worked fine with the same steps in the videos. Also, I had major problems with permissions with Plex on FreeNas 11.3. For example, whenever I wanted plex to add files to the library I had to write "chown -R plex /media" for plex to take ownership of the media so it could see it to update. Appartently I was the only person to have this problem although I followed the instructions video to a letter. It works great and has been solid for a year, but I am terrified of going to Freenas 12.0 because I KNOW my ownership permissions hack will break Truenas. Such is the life of a noob user using bleeding edge software designed for coding experts personal uses.
Hi

I have had no issues with permissions on TrueNAS.
For my issue I had to switch back to a 192.168.0.0 range with subnet of 255.255.255.0 to get my plex working sadly.

ddaenen1

Patron
Such is the life of a noob user using bleeding edge software designed for coding experts personal uses.

We have all been there. And we learn and get better,...