Plex Media Player for Windows Not Showing Item Details

Lothian

Dabbler
I'm having trouble with the latest version of the Plex Media Player for Windows (Plex for Windows Version 1.28.0.1681-cc6e807c running on Windows 10 Professional). After playing videos for a time, when I go back to try to look at a television show with seasons, or just click on any title below an item any place in the player, the system blanks the screen and goes into a buffering state. If I revert to older versions of the player, it works fine. I have installed the server on a windows box and using the player from my computer works fine. But as soon as I try to use the server in my Plex Media Server PlexPass plugin, the problem with the buffering window returns.

I also get this problem from a brand new windows install accessing my plex media server plugin. I think that Plex has been doing some work on DDos prevention so they may have done something to the network stream that TrueNas doesn't like, I am not sure.

I am at a loss to discover just what to do to avoid the problem. I can use my other players like the Chrome version, or my android phone or Roku box but just not the Plex for Windows version (which I prefer and use all the time).

Any suggestions on how to attack this problem would be greatly appreciated.

The plex media server running on my TrueNas 12.0-U2 server is version 1.21.3.4046.

Thank you

ThreeDee

Guru
try updating to latest version?
Version 1.21.4.4054

Lothian

Dabbler
Yes, I have all the latest versions, both of the server and of the app for windows. Just for fun, I tried reverting my server back to before the DDOS changes but it didn't help.

ThreeDee

Guru
ah .. so you updated since your initial post and still no go

Lothian

Dabbler
As an additional test, I added a VM running Ubuntu 20.04 to my TrueNas server and installed Plex Server 1.21.4.4054. I shut down the jail so it would not interfere with my testing. This time, when I use the Plex for Windows app, everything works great. While the transcoder is slow, everything else is very snappy. As soon as I restarted the jail, the problem came back.

There is something in the jail that is causing the problem but I am at a loss to understand what it is. I take it that nobody else is experiencing this problem? I am tempted to backup my server and reinstall the plugin. I had installed this at least a year ago so perhaps there is some virtue in doing this. I just hate to risk losing all my metadata.

ThreeDee

Guru
for poops and giggles .. I installed latest plex for windows to try and reproduce your issue .. and I can't seem to.

..watched a documentary for a bit .. then browsed to my TV shows and clicked on a few different shows and what not without issue.. went to different folders and everything came up like it's supposed to.

I run plex in a 12.2 jail via a manual install .. I don't know if that makes any kind of a difference or not... and I only run 1080p content.

Lothian

Dabbler
ThreeDee, Thanks for checking it out. That lets me know that it is somehow my configuration causing the problem. I think I will try reinstalling it to see if that fixes it.