Plex jail/vm, unable to "Claim server"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnless

Dabbler
Decided to try Plex on my FreeNAS server but am having a bit of trouble.

Running FreeNAS 11.1. I have installed Plex using (1) the Plex plug-in, (2) a generic jail and manually installing Plex (using iocage from the command line), and (3) by creating a VM, installing Ubuntu server in the VM, and installing Plex.

In all three cases the setup seems to go fine and I can connect to the Plex server using xxx.xxx.x.x:32400/web and see it locally. But I can't enable remote access or claim the server. Clicking "Claim server" starts a spinning circle which spins for about 30 seconds, then ends with no change and "Claim server" reappearing on the button again.

As an additional test I created an Ubuntu VM on a Windows machine, installed Plex, and was able to "claim" it.

Perhaps this might be some kind of network issue with my FreeNAS setup or maybe even my LAN? I'm not doing anything unusual (I think) and it is hard for me to tell from Plex where things are going wrong.

Ideas on how to go about trouble shooting this would be welcome.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Are you getting anything in your logs?

Finnless

Dabbler
If you mean the Plex log, one from the Linux VM incarnation of the Plex server is attached. When I was looking at it these kinds of error messages seemed like they might be relevant:

Oct 29, 2018 23:17:22.697 [0x7f985a7ff700] ERROR - PublicAddressManager: Unable to get public IP adddress from myPlex (httpCode=408):

Oct 29, 2018 23:18:51.330 [0x7f984e7fd700] ERROR - HTTP 408 downloading url https://plex.tv/updater/products/1/check.xml?build=linux-ubuntu-x86_64&channel=16&distribution=ubuntu&version=1.13.8.5395-10d48da0d

but I'm not sure. The VM does have internet access to the outside world.

Or did you mean a system log from the VM or a log from the FreeNAS server itself?

Attachments

• Plex Media Server.log.txt
    141.4 KB · Views: 9,327

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Unable to get public IP adddress from myPlex
That will certainly be the problem... you will need to port-forward 32400 to your jail IP for it to work (first the getting of the public IP, then the claiming).

Finnless

Dabbler
Odd. I had logged into my router and looked at the port forwarding automatically set up by UPnP and a rule was being created. At one point I also tried doing it explicitly with a manual rule for port forwarding on the router. I'll try it again, though.

Finnless

Dabbler
Finally had a chance to get back at this. I got things working in the Linux VM just by going through the setup c a r e f u l l y. I switched back to trying the iocage jail (preferable to running a VM) following the steps described here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

Same as before: I can connect locally, but can't claim the server. Eventually I found this thread
I have run into the same thing. I was only able to get networking to work in a new iocage jail by not using VNET and specifying the bridge0 interface on my machine. Haven't gotten as far as getting plex to work yet though.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-jail-in-fn-11-1-networking-not-working.60180/

so I tried not using VNET and I was instantly able to claim the server. However, transcoding stopped working. That eventually leads to this thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-doesnt-work.71155/

which suggests setting things back to the way they were originally using the VNET. I did this, and transcoding worked again. However, while connections to the Plex server that were already being used are still OK, no new connections (ie, trying to reconnect again from a web browser) can find the server. One step forward, one step back.

I also tried upgrading to Freenas to 11.2 (Beta) to see if that would help, but the update completely fails. Had to switch back to 11.1 to get the system to boot again.

Obviously I'm just trying somewhat random things (VNET on/off) without really understanding what is going on. Open to suggestions...

pschatz100

Guru
Hi All,
This seems like an awful lot of complicated work to solve your problem.

@Finnless Are you still interested in getting this to work? Let's start at the top: 1) What is your FreeNAS configuration? 2) Do you prefer to run from the Plugin (#1) or from the generic jail with a manual install (#2)? Whichever is your preferred way to run Plex, list the specific steps and commands you performed to do the installation.

Note: the jail needs VNET on for Plex to work properly.

Finnless

Dabbler
Hi All,
This seems like an awful lot of complicated work to solve your problem.

@Finnless Are you still interested in getting this to work? Let's start at the top: 1) What is your FreeNAS configuration? 2) Do you prefer to run from the Plugin (#1) or from the generic jail with a manual install (#2)? Whichever is your preferred way to run Plex, list the specific steps and commands you performed to do the installation.

Note: the jail needs VNET on for Plex to work properly.

Yes, still interested.

1) FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE. I tried doing an update to an 11.2 beta a month ago and it failed, so sticking with 11.1 for now.
2) My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is the Plug-in system will be changing going from Freenas version 11.1 to 11.2 from warden to iocage. So I want to set up an iocage jail which (with 11.1) means a manual install, yes? Besides, it seemed easy enough when I read how to do it...... :)
3) Steps followed:

Pretty much as described here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

including mapping the /config folder to a separate dataset. The media folders listed below are SMB shares that already exist on my server.

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver-plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.17/24" defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
rm /tmp/pkg.json
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/Movies /movies nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/Music /music nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/TV /tv nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec plex sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path="/config"
iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

Everything seems to work except for the connection to the outside world (ie, claiming the server). I don't understand what's going wrong. I can ping the outside world from within the jail when I open up a console into the jail, and I can log into my router and see it has automatically created the UPnP port forwarding rule that directs port 32400 to the IP address of the Plex server (192.168.0.17).

pschatz100

Guru
Yes, still interested.

1) FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE. I tried doing an update to an 11.2 beta a month ago and it failed, so sticking with 11.1 for now.
2) My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is the Plug-in system will be changing going from Freenas version 11.1 to 11.2 from warden to iocage. So I want to set up an iocage jail which (with 11.1) means a manual install, yes? Besides, it seemed easy enough when I read how to do it...... :)
3) Steps followed:

Pretty much as described here:

including mapping the /config folder to a separate dataset. The media folders listed below are SMB shares that already exist on my server.

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver-plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.17/24" defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
rm /tmp/pkg.json
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/Movies /movies nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/Music /music nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Primary/Media/Plex/TV /tv nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec plex sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path="/config"
iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

Everything seems to work except for the connection to the outside world (ie, claiming the server). I don't understand what's going wrong. I can ping the outside world from within the jail when I open up a console into the jail, and I can log into my router and see it has automatically created the UPnP port forwarding rule that directs port 32400 to the IP address of the Plex server (192.168.0.17).
I don't know about that business with the /tmp/pkg.json and you shouldn't need the attribute allow_raw_sockets="1". Why did you map /config folder to a different dataset?

However for now, let's assume that the jail is configured and Plex is installed correctly. We're working with the manual installation in the iocage, yes? Not the plugin and not the instance in the VM.

I assume you already tried logging out of Plex and clearing your browser cache? Sometimes, things get caught in the cache that interfere with proper operation.

Let's start gathering info:
1) What is your system configuration? Details about hardware are helpful.
2) you can ping the jail from another machine on your network?
3) You can log into the jail console and ping your router and also ping 8.8.8.8 ( one of Google's public DNS servers.)?
4) Are you using a static IP address for your jail, or assigning one via DHCP?
5) There are no other devices attempting to use the same IP address?
6) What is your router? What is the allowed range of IP addresses assigned by DHCP on your router?
7) Can you get into the Plex user interface locally?

You can ping the Plex jail, right?

Finnless

Dabbler
I don't know about that business with the /tmp/pkg.json and you shouldn't need the attribute allow_raw_sockets="1". Why did you map /config folder to a different dataset?

The .json and allow_raw_sockets came from following the post mentioned. The /config folder was explained in that post (and others) as a way of keeping your Plex settings outside the jail storage. That way if the jail is destroyed or another jail made, the settings can be recovered easily by pointing to that separate dataset with the /config folder. Sounded reasonable enough, so I did the same.

Let's start gathering info:
1) What is your system configuration? Details about hardware are helpful.

Hardware:
SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O
2 x Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L ECC CL11 SoDIMM 1.35V
4 x 4.0TB NAS drives
2 x 16GB USB (mirrored) boot drives

The FreeNAS installation is pretty standard: one storage pool, SMB for some files shares to Windows computers, and a single VM running Ubuntu, which I will shut down when I get Plex running since all it does is run a SageTV server...which the Plex jail is meant to replace.

I was about to start gathering the rest of the info you asked for, but I had rebooted my server for completely unrelated reasons earlier. After this reboot, there is no longer any network connectivity within the jail. There definitely was before. More searching, leading to this thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-vnet0-and-bridge0.59964/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-vnet0-and-bridge0.59964/page-3#post-479176

So there may be a bug in 11.1, fixed in 11.2, and it requires adding tunables in 11.1?

I'll start again fresh with a new jail to make sure I'm working with a clean slate and get the answer to your questions 2-7 next chance I get.

pschatz100

Guru
Well, you can try to fix the problem with tunables, but I doubt you will be successful. I do think there is a bug, either in FreeNAS 11.1 or in iocage, that causes the hardware interface to be missing from the bridge after a reboot. I have this problem on my system, but it is easy to restore and I don't reboot very often so I can live with it for now. I am waiting for the official release of 11.2 to see if that fixes the problem. So far, the comments on 11.2RC2 are positive.

My two cents: Don't go crazy with tunables, nor with scripts, nor with adding lots of things to system config files in an attempt to fix problems.

So, with that said... Don't go crazy creating more jails (not yet, anyway.)

1) Log into the Shell and run "ifconfig" - post the results. This will tell you lots of things about your network configuration. If something is missing, we should be able to see that.
2) Verify that each device and jail has a unique IP address and that there are no conflicts
3) Answer the questions I asked about your router.

We may very well be able to figure out a work-around

Last edited:

Finnless

Dabbler
1) Log into the Shell and run "ifconfig" - post the results. This will tell you lots of things about your network configuration. If something is missing, we should be able to see that.

ifconfig before the jail is created:

Code:
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=2400b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c4
		hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c4
		inet 192.168.0.6 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
		media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
igb1: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c5
		hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c5
		media: Ethernet autoselect
igb2: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c6
		hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c6
igb3: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		ether 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c7
		hwaddr 0c:c4:7a:6c:f0:c7
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
		options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
		inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
		inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
		nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
		groups: lo
tap0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=80000<LINKSTATE>
		ether 00:bd:18:d3:fa:00
		hwaddr 00:bd:18:d3:fa:00
		nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
		groups: tap
		Opened by PID 4489
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		ether 02:5a:e3:a7:5c:00
		groups: bridge
		id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
		maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
		root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
		member: igb0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 1 priority 128 path cost 20000
		member: tap0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 2000000

After jail is created, this is added:

Code:
vnet0:2: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		description: associated with jail: plex
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		ether 02:ff:60:14:fa:09
		hwaddr 02:c7:90:00:08:0a
		media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
		groups: epair

ifconfig from within the plex jail itself:

Code:
		inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
vnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		ether 02:ff:60:14:fa:0a
		hwaddr 02:c7:e0:00:09:0b
		inet 192.168.0.17 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

2) Verify that each device and jail has a unique IP address and that there are no conflicts

Verified. The only other virtualized thing running is a beehyve VM with Ubuntu, which has a different IP address, as does the FreeNAS server itself.

2) you can ping the jail from another machine on your network?

Yes.

3) You can log into the jail console and ping your router and also ping 8.8.8.8 ( one of Google's public DNS servers.)?

Yes.

4) Are you using a static IP address for your jail, or assigning one via DHCP?

Static IP. I presume the iocage create 'ip4_addr=' option is doing that?

5) There are no other devices attempting to use the same IP address?

None.

6) What is your router? What is the allowed range of IP addresses assigned by DHCP on your router?

Router model is SR505N. I have limited the DHCP assigned addresses to stay above 192.168.0.100. Nothing should be assigned automatically down at 192.168.0.17 where the plex jail is. The NAT/Virtual Servers page for the router shows a Plex Media Server at 192.168.0.17 being directed port 32400 internally.

7) Can you get into the Plex user interface locally?

Well.....

At first I could locally, but remote connections or claiming the server wasn't possible. As mentioned in post #6, disabling VNET allowed the server to be claimed and remote connections, but broke the transcoding. Re-enabling VNET got the transcoding back and I was able to maintain *existing* connections. That's where things are now. I can't connect a new computer to the local plex interface, or an incognito tab on the same computer, but I can still access the server from a chrome tab that I presume still has some cache/cookies in it from a few days ago when VNET was disabled and things were briefly able to connect.

Good thing the Plex Pass has a free one month trial...haven't quite used it up yet.

pschatz100

Guru
From the ifconfig dump, it looks like your main network interface is igb0: Is that correct?

How did you run ifconfig before the jail is created if the jail is already created? Do you mean that you ran ifconfig before the jail was started? Start the jail that Plex is installed in, then run ifconfig again on the system. What we're looking for, is that all the network bits and pieces are in place when the Plex jail is running. I suspect something is missing.

Finnless

Dabbler
From the ifconfig dump, it looks like your main network interface is igb0: Is that correct?

Correct

How did you run ifconfig before the jail is created if the jail is already created? Do you mean that you ran ifconfig before the jail was started?

No, I destroyed the existing jail, ran ifconfig, created a new jail, ran ifconfig again. I've created and destroyed jails a few times during trouble shooting to verify that (a) behaviour is consistent and (b) I haven't forgotten to undo some experimental setting.

Start the jail that Plex is installed in, then run ifconfig again on the system. What we're looking for, is that all the network bits and pieces are in place when the Plex jail is running. I suspect something is missing.

That is essentially what is posted above. I just split it into two pieces. The ifconfig output with the jail running is what you get by combining the "before" and "after" output above, ie, this:

Code:
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=2400b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6>
tap0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=80000<LINKSTATE>
		ether 00:bd:18:d3:fa:00
		hwaddr 00:bd:18:d3:fa:00
		Opened by PID 4489
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 2000000
vnet0:2: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		hwaddr 02:c7:90:00:08:0a

ifconfig from within the plex jail itself:

Code:
vnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		hwaddr 02:c7:e0:00:09:0b

The interface inside your jail is called vnet0. Plex doesn't like these; in fact, plex ignores all interfaces that start with a "v". Later versions of iocage handle this by automatically renaming the vnet0 interface inside your jail to epair0b.

What exact version of FreeNAS 11.1 are you using? Are you on 11.1-U6? If not, please update to get a more recent of iocage that may already solve this.

For more background and/or a manual workaround to rename the interface in your jail, please read this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-network-issues.60402/#post-437846

Finnless

Dabbler
What exact version of FreeNAS 11.1 are you using? Are you on 11.1-U6? If not, please update to get a more recent of iocage that may already solve this.

I'm not on 11.1-U6. That update broke the SMB shares for my Ubuntu VM. There were a few threads of people reporting similar things. Since rolling back immediately fixed the problem, and I didn't have time to look into it more (which seems rather ironic at this point), I haven't updated.

I will try switching back to the U6 release to see if it fixes the Plex/Jail connectivity issues.

Finnless

Dabbler
An iocage jail created on 11.1-U6 shows immediate network connectivity problems:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver-plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
[root@freenas ~]# iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.17/24" defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
plex successfully created!
Testing SRV response to FreeBSD
Error: error sending query: General LDNS error
{repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS

From within the jail, pinging the router @ 192.168.0.1 is unsuccessful. Output from ifconfig within the jail:

Code:
root@plex:~ # ifconfig
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		hwaddr 02:b0:e0:00:0a:0b

At least the name has changed from vnet0 to epair0b now with the update.

Output from ifconfig on the freenas server:

Code:
		member: vnet0:9 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 8 priority 128 path cost 2000
bridge1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		ether 02:5a:e3:a7:5c:01
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 128 path cost 2000000
		options=80000<LINKSTATE>
		ether 00:bd:5c:95:cf:00
		hwaddr 00:bd:5c:95:cf:00
		Opened by PID 29272
vnet0:9: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		hwaddr 02:b0:90:00:08:0a

Status
Not open for further replies.