Plex No Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrennanK

Dabbler
This isn't something Plex needs to fix. It is not intended to broadcast across subnets.
I guess we will agree to disagree. Anything that is written to operate over a network should be able to span networks easily. In any event, it needs better documentation about this limitation.

The plugin has a setting "Disables security. May be needed for initial access." in its configuration menu (FreeNAS WebUI > left panel Plugins > Plex).
Did you try changing changing that?
I think this is needed when accessing plex from a different broadcast domain, before setting a password.

That might have been part of it. I think I tried both ways and still got the same results.

Honestly most people have no need to span nets, Plex is generally used in the home where it's a simple here it is it works.

But you can always head over to the Plex site and suggest it to them.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I guess we will agree to disagree. Anything that is written to operate over a network should be able to span networks easily. In any event, it needs better documentation about this limitation.
But this has nothing to do with FreeNAS or the plugin. This is a default configuration from PLEX. Have a problem with it? Inform them. You never even mentioned the cross broadcast domains in your inquiry. A piece of valuable information to say the least.

By default Plex does an auto-discovery on it's broadcast domain.

FYI: once you configure the server, you can manage it across networks, but devices will not be able to auto discover your server.

RSVP

Explorer
I have the same exact problem but I am on the same network..I think I will go the non plug in route because for some reason I have this problem even after doing a fresh install of freenas. I thought that would solve the problem but it didn't. I think its something with the jail and storage. It had been running fantastic with SABnzbd, Sonarr, and CB. They all work fine and have never had a problem with anything but PLEX. Even running it on a stand alone windows PC was more stable for me in the past. At times has made me regret going with freenas due to the education curve around PLEX.

KevinM

Contributor
A lot of apps use mDNS to discover network resources, and it works great when everything is on the same VLAN. Otherwise you'll need a reflector such as Avahi that can relay mDNS broadcasts between subnets. Once I installed Avahi on my home pfSense router I was able to discover the Plex and Firefly FreeNAS plugins on my wired network from the wireless network. There's a decent chance that your router has this ability as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.