Plex iGPU transcoding hardware question

Nasus

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I have never built or used a server before, but I am trying to setup a Plex server with some used parts.i have been trying to do my research before buying parts.

Will a Xeon E-2124G be able to utilize its iGPU for transcoding on a Supermicro X11SCM-F motherboard? I tried to find answers to this, but I have a hard time understand what is being talked about in some threads.

If it doesn't work, could you explain to me why, and how you all find this out?

Thank you so much,

Nasus

Yes that chip has QSV (Intel® UHD Graphics P630). However you will need to purchase plex in order for this to work completely.

Nasus

Cadet
Yes that chip has QSV (Intel® UHD Graphics P630). However you will need to purchase plex in order for this to work completely.
Oh ok, thank you so much! I kept seeing in other threads that there were some limitations, but maybe that had to do with VMs or something. This really helps, buddy.

nabsltd

Contributor
Will a Xeon E-2124G be able to utilize its iGPU for transcoding on a Supermicro X11SCM-F motherboard? I tried to find answers to this, but I have a hard time understand what is being talked about in some threads.
It probably won't work. Based on this thread, Supermicro says the motherboard doesn't support Quicksync.

Do you have the directory /dev/dri on the host? And if so are there devices in there? Might be the actual easiest way. Also if memory serves you need to load the i915 via a tunable.

Nasus

Cadet
Oh wow. If I'm being honest with you, I'm not exactly sure what you just said but I will look those things up. I am still scouting parts for my PC, but I will let you know when I get things running.

Pretty simple. Open the GUI, on left side theres an option for shell terminal. Open it and type cd /dev/dri if it gives an error saying doesnt exist you can stop here. If it allows you to the directory do ls and see if you see devices, specifically a render device.

Consider offloading Plex to a separate SFF Business class machine. Then your Truenas itself can be run quite well on the most basic of decent server components. I use this exact machine albeit with more ram and HDD. For Plex and its related apps. Mine runs Linux Mint and handles everything and one, I can throw at it. They routinely sell this cheap, they are everywhere!

Last edited:

Nasus

Cadet
Consider offloading Plex to a separate SFF Business class machine. Then your Truenas itself can be run quite well on the most basic of decent server components. I use this exact machine albeit with more ram and HDD. For Plex and its related apps. Mine runs Linux Mint and handles everything and one, I can throw at it. They routinely sell this cheap, they are everywhere!
How do you run plex off that machine with enough HDDs? Do you attach one of those JBOD machines to it?

The storages from your Truenas machine are mounted to the SFF machine via NFS mounts, so the SFF machine itself just has a single HDD running the OS, in my case, Linux Mint, but it could run Windows too. All the files are accessed over the network. Works very slick!!