Plex and Jellyfin apps won't start

sgt_jamez

Explorer
22.12-MASTER-20220913-102905 is the most current I have tried. I see that there's a few more updates but I have not tried them yet. The issue is still there but the workaround of stopping all the individual SMB shares, starting the apps, and restarting the shares works. I have had to stop and start the domain connection as well.

rs_taylor

Explorer
I just changed the 'offending' share paths, I got sick of the workaround each time i restarted/updated/upgrade scale and/or apps.

It is a confirmed bug, or another case of a new "Feature"?

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
To be clear:
After many issues with shares being combined with Apps storage, iX by default has disabled combining the two.
Primarily the, much used, NFSv4 ACL's (often used with SMB shares) inherently cannot work with certain containers. Because they do not allow the use of chmod and chown which are often hard-failing containers.

However: Shares and replication blocking Apps, is a bug and is something we've made iX aware of.

noconnor

Cadet
I thought this was a bug without a workaround in the nightlies I was trying until I came across this thread. For me, SMB shares and the SMB service running wasn't the issue. Once I disable snapshot/replication tasks on the datasets used by the apps I was able to get them started again.

truecharts

Guru
I thought this was a bug without a workaround in the nightlies I was trying until I came across this thread. For me, SMB shares and the SMB service running wasn't the issue. Once I disable snapshot/replication tasks on the datasets used by the apps I was able to get them started again.
The snapshot and replication also causing this is indeed a bug iX has been made ware of :)

truecharts

Guru
This issue is killing me... Is there a jira ticket opened for this already?

To be fair this issue only exists in a BETA, it's the reason most users should not be running BETA and why we don't even support it ;-)
But the snapshot and replications being unable to be combined is indeed something we've made iX aware of, including ticket(s).

The other issue (shares and apps) is not going to be fixed according to our sources. As it's what they intended.

sgt_jamez

Explorer
Just to be sure I understand this correctly... I should NOT set and SMB share for a folder used by an app? Is that correct?

If so, what is the "correct" way to access folders that I cannot share?

Thanks! :)

truecharts

Guru
Just to be sure I understand this correctly... I should NOT set and SMB share for a folder used by an app? Is that correct?

Thats what iX has decided for 22.12 "Bluefin" yes.
(to be clear: this rule does not apply to 22.02.04!)

If so, what is the "correct" way to access folders that I cannot share?

You can mount NFS shares on TrueCharts just like hostPath, though it's not very much tested.

To be fair: SMB shares where not very usefull because we don't support the much-used ACL's anyway. Or rather: A lot of containers are inherently incompatible with ACL's

sotiris.bos

Explorer
I got this error when I had wrong permissions at the host storage path. Fixed it after I ran:

Code:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/path to container storage folder

Pirateguybrush

Dabbler
Thats what iX has decided for 22.12 "Bluefin" yes.
(to be clear: this rule does not apply to 22.02.04!)

Does this apply to the Plex config location, or to the media location too? I have the media location shared via SMB for easy access - will this no longer be practical in future releases?

mgoulet65

Explorer
Does this apply to the Plex config location, or to the media location too? I have the media location shared via SMB for easy access - will this no longer be practical in future releases?

I have the same question. It would be super inconvenient if it DID apply to the media location. Through some noob luck I did not use SMB share locations for my hostpath config locations!

jmcguire525

Explorer
+1 on this question for plex and other apps. Do I understand correctly that only the app storage/config dataset is restricted from using SMB shares? Meaning it is acceptable for additional storage added to the app (e.g. plex media files) to use a dataset with SMB and ACLs?

truecharts

Guru
This applies to all(!) cases of hostPath based storage on Bluefin.

Pirateguybrush

Dabbler
This applies to all(!) cases of hostPath based storage on Bluefin.

Thanks for clarifying, but I'm too inexperienced to know what hostpath based storage means. In simple terms - you're saying it does apply to the media location?

In that case, what method would you suggest for moving files from Windows machines into a media store for Plex?

jmcguire525

Explorer
This change should be pinned at the top of the Bluefin forum since it was a decision made by iX (not that it was ever officially supported by Truecharts).

This pisses me off and should be worked on. It makes me want to go back to core.
So if I have TVSHOWS as a SMB share, I have to make a directory inside this called say TVSHOWS to make plex work? How f'ed is that.
And for every APP that uses directory's.

Daisuke

Contributor
Cleanest way is to always plan the use of /mnt/pool/dataset as base, for example /mnt/default/media. Inside it, you can create or move all the directories you want and never worry about any issues in Plex or any other application. This is actually the intended use of a shared dataset.

1671069200380.png

While there, don't forget to add a ramdisk, if you transcode in Plex. See discussion:

1671069265680.png

Last edited: