Permission bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
created a group called fileshare then off to set the dataset and permissions

This is a fresh install FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5). Once a dataset is created it needs permissions to restrict who can access the files. in the change permissions dialog box the owner(user) is set to root and the owner(group) is set to fileshare.

in the mode:
Owner Checked Read, Write, Execute
Group Checked Read, Write, Execute
Other nothing checked

These settings should set the file system to 0770

when checking on a client the root user has full read/write/execute access. the group fileshare has read/write

this is the same for Permission type Mac or Windows. when set to UNIX the client just says special so i assume it also is not 0770 because it has the same outcome.

symptoms:
from the windows client files can be created and deleted.
from the unix/mac client files can be created and deleted.

from the windows client a zip file can be created and decompressed
from the mac client a zip file can be created but cannot be decompressed

windows client version 10
Unix CentOS 7.1
Mac OS X 10.12.3

I cannot reproduce any of these issues in FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 with all the same clients

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
created a group called fileshare then off to set the dataset and permissions

This is a fresh install FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5). Once a dataset is created it needs permissions to restrict who can access the files. in the change permissions dialog box the owner(user) is set to root and the owner(group) is set to fileshare.

in the mode:
Owner Checked Read, Write, Execute
Group Checked Read, Write, Execute
Other nothing checked

These settings should set the file system to 0770

when checking on a client the root user has full read/write/execute access. the group fileshare has read/write

this is the same for Permission type Mac or Windows. when set to UNIX the client just says special so i assume it also is not 0770 because it has the same outcome.

symptoms:
from the windows client files can be created and deleted.
from the unix/mac client files can be created and deleted.

from the windows client a zip file can be created and decompressed
from the mac client a zip file can be created but cannot be decompressed

windows client version 10
Unix CentOS 7.1
Mac OS X 10.12.3

I cannot reproduce any of these issues in FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 with all the same clients

How are you sharing files?

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
in the old freenas its
DiskSet1>Dataset1
DiskSet1>dataset2
i have confirmed in the old freenas all the folders have the appropriate groups and permissions on all the files and folders

in the new freenas its
DiskSet1>Dataset1>Dataset2
I have also confirmed that all datasets under dataset1 do not have write on any files or folders.

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
I have just confirmed that if the folder stucture is diskset>dataset>dataset that the permissions do not get set correctly. if the structure is diskset>dataset with no sub datasets the permissions get set correctly

everything works correctly if datasets are not put under datasets

in the old freenas its
DiskSet1>Dataset1
DiskSet1>dataset2
i have confirmed in the old freenas all the folders have the appropriate groups and permissions on all the files and folders

in the new freenas its
DiskSet1>Dataset1>Dataset2
I have also confirmed that all datasets under dataset1 do not have write on any files or folders.

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
further testing shows that it has nothing to do with permissions and everything to do with nested datasets. everything works perfect on datasets that are at the 1st level.

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
I have just confirmed that if the folder stucture is diskset>dataset>dataset that the permissions do not get set correctly. if the structure is diskset>dataset with no sub datasets the permissions get set correctly

everything works correctly if datasets are not put under datasets
the permissions on folders were correct after setting via the gui. the settings i reported in this were from an older test

Status
Not open for further replies.