Permissions not inherited - Bug or feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbmcg

Explorer
Hi Folks,

Just experianced a strange behaviour. I set the permission on the volume that way:

Owner RW
Group RW
Other No Access

Use Windows Groups, inherit owner, group

After creating a CIFS Share i get:

Owner: Full Control
Group (Unix-Group): Read

Strange. However as owner, I can change the permissions in Windows and publish them to the child folders.
But this makes setup really hard, because you have to check every share and change the group rights.

ProtoSD

MVP
I think I've seen this posted by someone else already, but I've moved it over to the bugs area.

G

gcooper

Inherit Permissions and Inherit Owner shouldn't be checked in CIFS if you have fine-grained file permissions that you need to control in Windows.

xbmcg

Explorer
What does this checkboxes mean?

Is it about inherit permissions from file system to the samba shares? In Windows there are 2 different
permissions - one on the file system set on folders and files, and the other on the share itself.

You can have theoretically full control on the files and read-only permissions on the share level,
so if you mount the files via this particular share, you end up with RO-Access. If you go a different
way, (e.g. log on locally or use another share with more rights) you have full-control.

I assumed "inherit permissions" means set the permissions for the share to match the current
permissions on the underlying file system. - Is this the meaning or ist it something different?

In NTFS you always inherit permissions from the upper level folders, until you change them.
In Linux / Unix you always set the permissions and the owner when saving files, what ends
up, that others may not have access to them until you explicitely change the permissions.
This is very nasty for shared access to group folders etc. Is there a way to circumvent this
and set up the NAS the "windows" way? I do not want to give everybody full control - but just
always inherit the permissions of the upper folder for new files - until I change them explicitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.