old rust pool need upgrading

fahadshery

Contributor
Hi All,

I have an old pool with only 4 WD Red drives. This pool has been in service since 2017 :D
One of the drives has sadly passed away.

I have 2 SSD's laying around with the same capacity.
I am gone be replacing all these with SSDs any way in the future.

Is this a good idea to replace my failed RUST drive with SSD?

Thanks

chuck32

Guru
If the SSDs are working why not. Just keep in mind that you need to recreate the pool switching from 4 to 2 drives.

What are the exact drive models? What pool layout are you choosing? You may end up with s little less available storage.

fahadshery

Contributor
If the SSDs are working why not. Just keep in mind that you need to recreate the pool switching from 4 to 2 drives.

What are the exact drive models? What pool layout are you choosing? You may end up with s little less available storage.
I think you misunderstood.
I have an existing 4 drives pool in a raidz pool.
3 of these drives are ok and therefore the pool is in degraded state (1 drive failed).
I have couple of SSDs with the same capacity laying around.
I was thinking to use 1 SSD as a replacement to my failed drive.
and then replace another HDD with an SSD so the resulting pool will stay the same but with 2 SSDs and 2 HDD.
I will replace the other 2 HDD later in the future.
Is this something advisable or is it a bad idea to mix and match SSDs and HDDs in the pool

Davvo

MVP
Is this something advisable or is it a bad idea to mix and match SSDs and HDDs in the pool
The SSD will be limited by the drives' performance, but that's all as long as you are not using something cheap.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
No issues with mix and match as long as the capacity of the replacement drive is the same or higher than that of the existing pool drives.

You won’t get the benefit of SSD performance until all pool drives transition to SSD, at which point you’ll likely notice a massive change re: pool performance, especially as it pertains to small files.