Upgrading old RAID-Z10 pool to RAID-Z2 ?

Gorge50

Dabbler
Hi,

I've recently upgraded my old DIY NAS to enterprise hardware from Supermicro and now the time has come for my old disks to get replaced.
Currently there are 4 x WD Red 6TB and 4 x WD Red 3TB disks in my ZFS RAIDZ1+0 configuration, giving me access to 50% of available storage. Amount of available RAM on server is 128GB. See images below.

disks.png

1.0 Disks

zpool.PNG

1.1 ZFS pool

These drives are to be replaced by 8 x Seagate Exos 16TB drives (will add 4 more disks later on) and I am looking into what configuration would be most optimal for me, my requirements are speed and realibility - money is not a issue and I can live with 50% available storage (I've been doing it so far ;)). As far as I've understood RAID-Z2 is the new kid on the block since all those years back I've put together my ZFS pool and it seems to be the recommended configuration. Am I right and what sort of performance difference am I looking at when compared to current setup if switching to RAID-Z2?

Also, any recommendations how I would go about upgrading or replacing the old pool? There are 12 hot swap bays in the Supermicro case, 8 of those are taken up by WD Red disks to be replaced.

blueether

Patron
ZFS mirrors will give much better IOPs than raidz2, but you could do 2 6 drive wide raidz2 vdevs in the pool to give better IOPs than a single vdev.

mirrored pairs are also easier to expand at a latter date by adding a new pair to.

I guess the question then becomes what are your use case and how much read/write speed do you need?

Gorge50

Dabbler
ZFS mirrors will give much better IOPs than raidz2, but you could do 2 6 drive wide raidz2 vdevs in the pool to give better IOPs than a single vdev.

mirrored pairs are also easier to expand at a latter date by adding a new pair to.

I guess the question then becomes what are your use case and how much read/write speed do you need?

Use case: vault (private data) and surveillance storage as well as streaming 4K material to the few Kodi boxes we have at home and 2 jails running some services.

I assume the ideal configuration right now would be 6 drives in RAID-Z2 configuration (pool 1) and a mirrored pair of disks for vault in separate pool (pool 2). What would be the easiest solution of moving data from current pool to new? rsync?