Nothing showing in Active Volumes of GUI, CIFS share not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So we are in violent agreement on this! It works well with a low enough number of snapshots. I wonder if it is practical to run a snapshot regime with exponentially increasing intervals in the past, presumably by pruning snapshots (e.g. hourly for a day, daily for a week, etc. etc.)? With the GUI you can do it with multiple snapshot tasks, but then, AIUI, you can't replicate the multiple tasks. Or can you?
You don't really have to replicate the snapshots taken at a greater frequency than that of the replication, though. The benefits are limited. This should be enough to cut the worst offenders from the problem.

rogerh

Guru
You don't really have to replicate the snapshots taken at a greater frequency than that of the replication, though. The benefits are limited. This should be enough to cut the worst offenders from the problem.
Is there any way to achieve this situation through the GUI? I concluded not, and have not attempted to write my own scripts. But if there is a way to do this through the GUI I should certainly like to try it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I assume you just choose to replicate a certain task that has a reasonable frequency.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So we are in violent agreement on this! It works well with a low enough number of snapshots. I wonder if it is practical to run a snapshot regime with exponentially increasing intervals in the past, presumably by pruning snapshots (e.g. hourly for a day, daily for a week, etc. etc.)? With the GUI you can do it with multiple snapshot tasks, but then, AIUI, you can't replicate the multiple tasks. Or can you?

That is exactly what is recommended. Keep hourly snaps for a short time, keep daily snaps for a longer time, keep weekly/monthly for a long time.

They will replicate just fine.

rogerh

Guru
That is exactly what is recommended. Keep hourly snaps for a short time, keep daily snaps for a longer time, keep weekly/monthly for a long time.

They will replicate just fine.
That was the point I was unclear about, whether having more than one snapshot task on a given dataset would confuse replication, and the identification of 'latest' snapshot. With that reassurance I shall try it.

Edit: the GUI says in red in the replication task tab:

"A periodic snapshot of a given ZFS Volume/Dataset is required to create a replication task"

What it should say is:

"At least one periodic snapshot task for a given … "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.