Snapshot task creation allows forward slash ("/") in Snapshot name

kekoakeakane

Dabbler
When creating a set of snapshot tasks, I thought it would be a good idea to use the name and path of the dataset in the name of the snapshot. Such as "zpool01/ds01/backups-daily-auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M". When the task ran, it appeared to have created the snapshot as a set of snapshots with these names appeared in the list on the WebGUI. I realized there was a problem when the replication task to the backup FreeNAS server failed with a "snapshot does not exist" error.

There were no error messages when saving the snapshot task. However, after investigation, I determined that no snapshots have actually been created using this naming convention by looking into the .zfs/snapshot sub-directories in the respective dataset directories and found no snapshot sub-directories relating to these snapshots. I also noted that there is not snapshot data listed when each of these snapshots is expanded in the WebGUI.

I recognize now that using the forward slash ("/") in the name of a snapshot is inappropriate as the system is using that name to create a file/directory in the filesystem. This appears to be a bug in the GUI to allow use of inappropriate characters in the snapshot name. There should be at least some level of error checking in the snapshot name during the save action when creating or editing a snapshot task.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
When creating a set of snapshot tasks, I thought it would be a good idea to use the name and path of the dataset in the name of the snapshot. Such as "zpool01/ds01/backups-daily-auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M". When the task ran, it appeared to have created the snapshot as a set of snapshots with these names appeared in the list on the WebGUI. I realized there was a problem when the replication task to the backup FreeNAS server failed with a "snapshot does not exist" error.

There were no error messages when saving the snapshot task. However, after investigation, I determined that no snapshots have actually been created using this naming convention by looking into the .zfs/snapshot sub-directories in the respective dataset directories and found no snapshot sub-directories relating to these snapshots. I also noted that there is not snapshot data listed when each of these snapshots is expanded in the WebGUI.

I recognize now that using the forward slash ("/") in the name of a snapshot is inappropriate as the system is using that name to create a file/directory in the filesystem. This appears to be a bug in the GUI to allow use of inappropriate characters in the snapshot name. There should be at least some level of error checking in the snapshot name during the save action when creating or editing a snapshot task.
Can you file this as a ticket in our jira instance? jira.ixsystems.com