NIC Suddenly Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

aedan929

Dabbler
Hi all, no matter how I destroy FreeNAS I always forget to create backups on the config lol. My problem here is that I tried accessing plex today, noticed it didn't work so I went to the FreeNAS web GUI and couldn't connect. Weird... So I went to the physical server (HP Proliant DL380G7) to see that it reported exactly this under setup options: "The web interface could not be accessed. Please check network configuration." I am using the stock HP NC382i Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter. Now, the server isn't too old but it is not new. I tried re-creating and deleting my aggregations and freenas couldn't even detect a NIC even after a restart ofc. Is there a way I can tell from the GUI to see hardware stats? Do NIC's even go bad and fail? I am stuck on weather I should reinstall freenas, upgrade re-install it, or replace my NIC. Please keep in mind this issue happened about an hour after making any system changes (adding plugin zoneminder). I am very stuck right now so any help is apreciated. EDIT: I also did a full system shutdown, unplugging it for one minute and holding power button. I am running 11.2

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

aedan929

Dabbler
They sure do. Get an Intel NIC and you likely won't have these problems.
Thank you! That leads me to the question then, how many ports should it have? As of right now I have all 4 in use and they work great, but I don't see a point in having more the two ethernet ports on ones server in a home. Am I right? I don't wanna sacrifice speed for money, its the other way round, but I don't want to spend too much.

kdragon75

Wizard
Thank you! That leads me to the question then, how many ports should it have? As of right now I have all 4 in use and they work great, but I don't see a point in having more the two ethernet ports on ones server in a home. Am I right? I don't wanna sacrifice speed for money, it's the other way round, but I don't want to spend too much.
Thats a loaded question... We would need to review how your using your NAS, the number of clients, your network infrastructure, and you expectations all before we can hint one way or the other.

aedan929

Dabbler
Thats a loaded question... We would need to review how your using your NAS, the number of clients, your network infrastructure, and you expectations all before we can hint one way or the other.
Not a problem, theres usually only two users, one user just uses it for photo storage and barely ever accesses it, and when they do it's over WiFi. I am the other one, I use it for storage of a lot of big files and I edit videos off of it's storage, so it's under a lot of network and disk load then. The other use case is Plex, but it's somewhat occasional, the last one is VM's (when it decides to work). I use a windows 8.1 VM for iSpy Surveillance software to monitor my 8 IP cameras streaming at 1080 15fps constantly. Then I use SFTP outside of my house but my internet upload speed is only 40mbps anyways. My network setup is all gigabit enterprise hardware, minus the stock XFi modem/router from Xfinity. Almost everything that's not a laptop or a google home (I have a lot of those) is connected via ethernet. My expectations are at least to get the full read/write speed of my 8 1TB WD Red SFF Drives in RAID 5, and edit video from my main rig just as good as before editing 4k content. Thanks!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, I had my NIC (ixSystems private label of Chelsio) work great with a failover LAGG and then... something happened. After nuking the respective configurations several times, I was able to resurrect the 10GBe sans LAGG. Sometimes the hardware is willing, even if FreeNAS/FreeBSD isn't.

aedan929

Dabbler
FWIW, I had my NIC (ixSystems private label of Chelsio) work great with a failover LAGG and then... something happened. After nuking the respective configurations several times, I was able to resurrect the 10GBe sans LAGG. Sometimes the hardware is willing, even if FreeNAS/FreeBSD isn't.
This raises hopes for my wallet and I! Thanks I will try what you said if re-installing freenas fails. I am doing the "upgrade" first and then I'll have to do a fresh if this doesn't work. And I believe I forgot to mention (sorry guys) I am using aggregation set to loadbalance. Would you mind mentioning the steps you took to "nuke" the configs? lol

aedan929

Dabbler
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!! Reinstalled freenas 11.1 with network back! I am about to load my saved config file and update to 11.2 again and hope for the best. Thanks everyone for the help, sorry if I wasted your time, it was stupid of me not to do this before posting this thread. Have a good day yall and happy holidays!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Best of luck for your upgrade and the contents of your wallet. This time of year can make the latter a scarce commodity. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.