Can't get NIC to work. Datasets gone!

masonvanmeurs

Dabbler
Hey all,
Running 11.3 stable and I puchased a SuperMicro X540-AT2 AOC-STG-I2T 10 gig nic to install. I saw on some forums that it was compatible with freenas and I didn't want to spend more money on the intel one. I popped it into my server and I'm having series issues.

After installing the NIC the boot sequence gets stuck for a while on this screen here, and then it finally finishes booting
PXL_20210122_225326856.jpg

Once it's done, it gets stuck here:
PXL_20210122_225748920.jpg

When I load the web gui, it works, but there is nothing on the dashboard page:
1611358386466.png

and my pools and datasets are gone:
1611358416651.png

Shutting down and unplugging the 10 Gb NIC and rebooting without it yields the same problem. I restored to a config file I made before the install and still have the same problem. Help! What do I do to get my pools back online? Why would booting with a NIC installed screw up my pools and datasets?

Attachments

• PXL_20210122_224912723.jpg
    PXL_20210122_224912723.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 149

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You may have received a bum card. Does your system boot OK without it?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, the X540 is kind of a doubtful card, anytime someone is having problems with an Intel 10G card, it seems like it is an X540 or X550. I suspect that this may be because a lot of them are fakes, but legitimate X540's have been shown to be problematic, especially the copper 10GBase-T ones.

There's a 10 Gig Networking Primer here that discusses what cards do and don't work on FreeNAS with a lot more authority than things you heard on a random forum somewhere. As much as I wish that everything worked perfectly all the time, that's the cold truth.

You will probably need to provide some more information such as what the output of "camcontrol devlist" is and what happens if you try to import the pool.

ccssid

Explorer
I am anything but an authority on this subject, but......when I was dinking around with my main freenas box upgrading from 9.10 -u6 to 11.3 , ultimately to truenas 12.0-u1, I experienced the same issue with my pool. You did not loose any of your data. Take a deep breath, and since you have the last good config file, simply reload a fresh copy of 11.3 onto your boot drive, boot up and import pool....update config. or maybe drop down to 11.2 and upgrade back to 11.3. I do not /did not understand what I did as to why this worked, but my feeenas box just needed a good kick in the arse.

JustinClift

Patron
Seeing those messages about failures with middlewared, I wonder if your install of FreeNAS has become corrupt somehow?

As @ccssid points out you likely haven't lost any data. That'll still be on your drives, it's just the OS is having trouble working for some (so far) unknown reason.

If nothing else works to get things happy again, as a diagnostic step you can try installing FreeNAS to a USB stick and booting with that. If that works, then it would help clarify whether the problem really is a corrupt installation or not. :smile: