Any Suggestions On A NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Hello, new to FreeNAS and I just came to a realization after building my FreeNAS box that cat 6 1Gbps would take like 2.8 days to transfer a little over 400GB of data from my current SSD (also doesn't help that I just realized that I had a 100mbps switch in the middle of it...). After that transfer, it will probably be the most intensive thing that the server will do (file transfer from my PC to the NAS in a while). I don't access the files/SSD often but when I do, it's just usually to add more files for storage. I don't plan to back up my computer to it either, since all my important files will be on the NAS and not the desktop. I am also thinking of installing applications on it so that I don't have to worry about reinstalling them on a reset. Also will not be storing videos and movies for plex use either. So pretty much just really light usage I guess. Due to this I was thinking that a 10Gb NIC would be appropriate for this since my FreeNAS server is an old HP dl360e Gen8, I was thinking of buying this https://www.amazon.com/HP-Connectx-2-Interface-671798-001-666172-001/dp/B0178CNZ9U and this https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Multimode-Duplex-Fiber/dp/B00U7UP49K to hook up FreeNAS to my computer directly. Don't want the entire network to be able to access it, just my PC so 2 NICs would be just fine (and also to save money because i'm a little short on it after buying drives >.<) Will that NIC be fine for 10Gbps FreeNAS as I saw in the comments on amazon that on FreeNAS it is limited to 1Gbps? Am I safe to assume that 10Gbps will be more than enough for me as I only have 4 8TB WD Reds, like is this math right? 10Gbps = 1GB/s, My SSD = 550MB/s, 4 8TB WD Reds in RaidZ2 = like 400MB/s??? One last thing, how fragile are Fiber cables? Like I know not to bend them 90 degrees because there's glass in them and how do I connect them to the NIC, is it just like ethernet? Thanks, and I really need help on this so that I don't buy incompatible hardware. :)

-EDIT- Also just now realized that if I did that, the box wouldn't be able to access the internet for updates. Can I just plug the Ethernet cable into the box once in a while to update it? Also if I connect it straight to my PC, would it get an IP so I can connect to it using the webgui or would I need to put it through my router to do that?

P.S, Sorry for the giant block of text... >.<

joeschmuck

Old Man
EDIT- Also just now realized that if I did that, the box wouldn't be able to access the internet for updates. Can I just plug the Ethernet cable into the box once in a while to update it? Also if I connect it straight to my PC, would it get an IP so I can connect to it using the webgui or would I need to put it through my router to do that?
If you connected your FreeNAS machine directly to your computer you will need to set a static IP address for FreeNAS. No, FreeNAS would not have internet access through your computer, not unless you were able to have your computer pass it through. This is called Bridge mode. It can be setup, just Google Search for it.

Will that NIC be fine for 10Gbps FreeNAS as I saw in the comments on amazon that on FreeNAS it is limited to 1Gbps?
Whatever NIC you get will be limited by the slowest connection point, meaning if you have two 10Gb NICs connected directly, then you will achieve a typical 10Gb connection speed. That comment above was not true.

Am I safe to assume that 10Gbps will be more than enough for me as I only have 4 8TB WD Reds, like is this math right? 10Gbps = 1GB/s, My SSD = 550MB/s, 4 8TB WD Reds in RaidZ2 = like 400MB/s???
It's fast but not as fast as 40Gb. It depends on what you feel you need. I live perfectly fine with my 1Gb network and backup several computers without any issue.
(also doesn't help that I just realized that I had a 100mbps switch in the middle of it...)
Replace it with a proper switch. This will vastly improve your performance because with it installed you are only running at 100Mbps.
One last thing, how fragile are Fiber cables?
A good rule is to not bend them beyond the arc for a 1" circle. While I've seen fibers work even when tied into a knot, it's not smart. Don't step on them, keep the ends clean (no finger prints, no 70% alcohol to clean).

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
If you connected your FreeNAS machine directly to your computer you will need to set a static IP address for FreeNAS. No, FreeNAS would not have internet access through your computer, not unless you were able to have your computer pass it through. This is called Bridge mode. It can be setup, just Google Search for it.

Whatever NIC you get will be limited by the slowest connection point, meaning if you have two 10Gb NICs connected directly, then you will achieve a typical 10Gb connection speed. That comment above was not true.

It's fast but not as fast as 40Gb. It depends on what you feel you need. I live perfectly fine with my 1Gb network and backup several computers without any issue.

Replace it with a proper switch. This will vastly improve your performance because with it installed you are only running at 100Mbps.

A good rule is to not bend them beyond the arc for a 1" circle. While I've seen fibers work even when tied into a knot, it's not smart. Don't step on them, keep the ends clean (no finger prints, no 70% alcohol to clean).
Thanks, for the first one I mean that say if I plugged it into my computer through fiber would I be able to access the webgui? To get internet for updates periodically I would just inset an Ethernet cable into it so that there would be 2 cables, one connected to my PC and one to the router for internet, then it would be unplugged after an update.

The second one, I meant that I heard that there was a driver issue or something that made it so that 10Gb/s wouldn't work on it only 1Gb/s and I was wondering if anyone knew if that was correct. I know if I connect only 2 cards together with a 10Gb/s cable it would be 10Gb/s.

The third one, yeah I was thinking id probs be fine with 1Gb/s too, just need to get a new switch.

The forth one, I forgot that I had used an old 5 port switch because I needed more Ethernet ports in the living room for a phone and another computer that didn't need the speed. Just literally forgot it was 100Mb/s and that I didn't have a long enough Ethernet cable so I plugged it into that. XD

The fifth one, yeah just what I though, don't knot, or bend them too extremely. I'll just get one of those plastic cable shroud things and put the cable under that because the most efficient way for me to route it is through a walkway, that should be enough to protect them. Also, don't use 70% alcohol to clean? Does that mean don't use any liquid containing alcohol to clean them or don't use 70% as it has too much water and only use 91% alcohol?

Thanks, really do appreciate your help! :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
only use 91% alcohol?
You should use 100% alcohol or a dry cleaner. When you get your fibers they should have caps on them. Just remove the caps and connect it, do not touch the ends. If you have to disconnect the fiber, immediately put on a cap. There is a dry cleaner called a Cletop (think i spelled it properly). We use these all the time. If that doesn't work then we use 100% technical alcohol.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
You should use 100% alcohol or a dry cleaner. When you get your fibers they should have caps on them. Just remove the caps and connect it, do not touch the ends. If you have to disconnect the fiber, immediately put on a cap. There is a dry cleaner called a Cletop (think i spelled it properly). We use these all the time. If that doesn't work then we use 100% technical alcohol.
Hmm, Cletop is $100 >.<. With my research I found that I apparently can get 99% at the store but I assume that isn't good enough. So would something at Home Depot work? Like next to where the acetone is I remember a few chemicals like MEK and mineral spirits. I have no clue where to get 100% alcohol and how much it costs, I assume it would be a little more expensive then regular 91% alcohol? Thanks.

Stux

MVP
Are you sure you need 10gb?

I thought you just finished saying that after this initial 2 day transfer you wouldn't have any big ones anymore?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

I thought you just finished saying that after this initial 2 day transfer you wouldn't have any big ones anymore?

He said that he wanted to be able to run software from the mounted drive. Not sure exactly how he intends to use it, but it sounds like he wants to use the NAS to replace internal storage.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hmm, Cletop is $100 >.<. With my research I found that I apparently can get 99% at the store but I assume that isn't good enough. So would something at Home Depot work? Like next to where the acetone is I remember a few chemicals like MEK and mineral spirits. I have no clue where to get 100% alcohol and how much it costs, I assume it would be a little more expensive then regular 91% alcohol? Thanks.

It has been my experience that 99% pure is the best you can get and you have to go to a pharmacy and ask at the counter as they keep it in back with the prescription medications.

Stux

MVP
What about using isopropyl alcohol?

Or just a strip of alcohol swabs.

Never used fiber myself.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I believe what we use is 2-Mercaptobenzyl alcohol. The equipment I work with is for Military consumption so we have to use the best product on the market I guess. I'm not a chemical engineer.
What about using isopropyl alcohol?

Or just a strip of alcohol swabs.

Never used fiber myself.
Isopropyl alcohol can leave a film on the fiber and since the fiber transmits light and a certain frequency you don't want to add any attenuation and/or reflection to the surface. If it were me for my house I'd look into denatured alcohol, which is ethanol with some additives to make it taste bad and possibly smell bad. I'm not sure if those chemical additives would leave a film. If it doesn't leave a film then I'd go buy a small can of that, but only if I needed to clean the fiber ends. Also I could be totally wrong about the denatured alcohol which is why I said that I'd have to research it first.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realistically, unless you're splicing or extremely careless, there's no need to be concerned with cleaning. That's what the caps are for.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler

Yeah, initially I was thinking that if I ever needed to transfer a large amount of files. It would clog up my internet and make everything really slow. But now that i've had more time to think of it, my PC has dual 1Gb NICS and the server has 4 so I really could just get a 50 foot cat 6 cable and use that. But I was also thinking of 10Gb for future proofing.
He said that he wanted to be able to run software from the mounted drive. Not sure exactly how he intends to use it, but it sounds like he wants to use the NAS to replace internal storage.
If it was fast enough I was really thinking of installing my programs on that instead so in case of my computer crashing or something, I wouldn't lose any data. Also in around 5 years I've accumulated a little over 400GB of files so i'm trying to figure out a good use of the 13.6TB that I have. Any suggestions would be nice. :)
It has been my experience that 99% pure is the best you can get and you have to go to a pharmacy and ask at the counter as they keep it in back with the prescription medications.
Any idea how much it costs? Also, if I use 99% alcohol, do I just dip the end into it and use a microfiber cloth to dry it? Not sure how to clean it, never used fiber before except for optical audio fiber but that's different I assume. :/
I believe what we use is 2-Mercaptobenzyl alcohol. The equipment I work with is for Military consumption so we have to use the best product on the market I guess. I'm not a chemical engineer.
Isopropyl alcohol can leave a film on the fiber and since the fiber transmits light and a certain frequency you don't want to add any attenuation and/or reflection to the surface. If it were me for my house I'd look into denatured alcohol, which is ethanol with some additives to make it taste bad and possibly smell bad. I'm not sure if those chemical additives would leave a film. If it doesn't leave a film then I'd go buy a small can of that, but only if I needed to clean the fiber ends. Also I could be totally wrong about the denatured alcohol which is why I said that I'd have to research it first.
I think ill stick to 99% then, hopefully its somewhat cheap. XD
Realistically, unless you're splicing or extremely careless, there's no need to be concerned with cleaning. That's what the caps are for.
If it's like a dollar or 2 more expensive than 91% I could use it to clean CPUs and other electronics. But i'd like to have it just in case, never know what might happen, like dropping it on carpet lol.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
But I was also thinking of 10Gb for future proofing

You don't need to add 10gb now to "future proof". Since you're talking about a PCIe Add in card, In the future you can add 10gb just as easily, and perhaps at lower cost too...

And by then you might just use 10GBASE-T with a simple Cat 6/6a cable.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Agreed. But, like any weird cable adapters or custom fittings that come with a system, these are discarded immediately. Unlike useless generic cords or setup cards which warn not to use high-voltage equipment in a swimming pool. These are carefully preserved forever.

Fiber optic connectors are not likely to get dirty enough to affect data transfer rate. If they did, the manufacturer would probably have a specific unobtainable chemical to use for cleaning and dire warnings about using anything else. In practice, there are solutions used for cleaning various optics which are reasonably available and safe for glass fiber and probably most plastics. Usually these are some type of alcohol that is the same as the stuff at X-mart except that the impurities have been filtered out so it evaporates without leaving a film.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
You don't need to add 10gb now to "future proof". Since you're talking about a PCIe Add in card, In the future you can add 10gb just as easily, and perhaps at lower cost too...

And by then you might just use 10GBASE-T with a simple Cat 6/6a cable.
Yeah I see what you're saying also, I found a 40GB NIC for $20 on ebay. So like for $60 I could get 2 and the cable for it. I mean the ram write cache would benefit from it XD.

Stux

MVP
Just don't expect to saturate 40gbit without some serious hardware and tuning.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Just don't expect to saturate 40gbit without some serious hardware and tuning.
Hey, it'll be faster than 10GB any day of the week. If I transfer from my NVME drive to the NAS, assuming ram write cache works as intended.

Stux

MVP
Hey, it'll be faster than 10GB any day of the week. If I transfer from my NVME drive to the NAS, assuming ram write cache works as intended.

Yeah, about that...

So, you might need to tune it. By default I believe the incoming buffer is 4GB, (ie 1 second at 40gbit), and if that doesn't fill, Transaction groups flush out at 5 second intervals. I've never tested it, but I believe if a second transaction group needs to be written before the first finishes writing, it'll block your server until it is written.

So, in order to not block, your pool will need to be capable of writing at 4GB/s. Which is a non-trivial data rate... since 8x PCIe2 (what the SAS2 cards normally use) is 32gbps, and 4 lane SAS2 is 24gbps.

Just FYI, and you may need to do some tuning.

40gbit is faster than most of the rest of the system.

My XeonD 8 core doesn't seem to be capable of going much past 1.5GB/s or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.