Any cost efficient methods to get greater than 1Gbps transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
In heavy RF environments we used to have to run network cabling in conduit. Faraday cage *that*. :p

"Heavy RF environments" hmm, lets see... Ah, something like your backyard?:

haarp-field424x254.jpg

In heavy RF environments we used to have to run network cabling in conduit. Faraday cage *that*. :p

I knew You like him too.:smile:

On a serious side is , I can't tell how much is too much without a expansive equipment. I just try to avoid power cables and copper data cables as much as I can , but I can't tell how good of job I am doing , cause I can measure it. In my rack I have power cables on a left (following most super-micro design with psu on left) and on the right side only data.

It's very easy to diagnose unplugged cable or cut cable , but to find out that if your connection is dropping cause a power line interference is very hard. So I just follow best practices.

Example: my Media center recordings start having noise recorded with the picture from my dehumidifier in the basement, not even the same circuit. That's not illusion.It's fixed now , but I am not sure how I fixed it, just moving stuff from each other as far as possible. If this was not observed on the picture I wouldnt even know is there, could be a data cable keep dropping packets.

Bidule0hm

Example: my Media center recordings start having noise recorded with the picture from my dehumidifier in the basement, not even the same circuit. That's not illusion.It's fixed now , but I am not sure how I fixed it, just moving stuff from each other as far as possible. If this was not observed on the picture I wouldnt even know is there, could be a data cable keep dropping packets.

That's because it's most probably radiated noise, not conducted noise ;)

haarp-field424x254.jpg

Don't have to be that heavy. for the little poor cat6 cable who suppose to move 10Gb in thousands of packets per second, little for you could be too much for it.:D
It's not about you, it about "the packet" how much is too much:smile:

It was really a pleasure talking to you guys, but I have to go cause I am having people coming over tonight and have to get ready. Talk to you soon.

P.S. This remind me whey IRC came out and couldn't get me off the keyboard.

That's because it's most probably radiated noise, not conducted noise ;)

It was in the power line affecting the cable tuner. I didn't move the humidifier position just wire on different circuits. And checking with my noise sniffer for noise each outlet.

Bidule0hm

Radiated noise from cables, not the appliance itself ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Well, no, well actually yes come to think of it, but not what I meant.

Back in the '90's and 2000's a lot of the Internet stuff was also closely related to the amateur radio community, so I was often working in buildings that also had lots of radio gear, etc.

But come to think of it at the house we're very near one of the region's largest radio antenna arrays (five towers), plus we're within a mile or two of several others. When we first moved in here, the phones took on all new and interesting hold music characteristics while not actually being on hold, and some other problems became apparent too. Damn modern gear, insufficiently shielded! I never got around to running conduit for voice/data through the whole place, but when we remodel rooms and rip open walls, I still add boxes and conduit because it is so convenient. Nice thing about having all the tools to do a job right. Going full VoIP fixed the RF issues.

Bidule0hm

Damn modern gear, insufficiently shielded!

Copper is expensive... Modern gear is (mostly) crap from China manufactured at the lowest price possible... So yeah, not two things you can merge together I guess :D

If you want something well designed, built to last, serviceable, ... look for a used thing pre 2000's or even pre 1990's, or something recent but from the industrial world where you can't really cut corners :)

Radiated noise from cables, not the appliance itself ;)

Now days who knows.I wont be supprice if radiation from the appliance comes for unsuspected consumers as a bonus.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Copper is expensive... Modern gear is (mostly) crap from China manufactured at the lowest price possible... So yeah, not two things you can merge together I guess :D

If you want something well designed, built to last, serviceable, ... look for a used thing pre 2000's or even pre 1990's, or something recent but from the industrial world where you can't really cut corners :)

Actually, that'd have been maybe 15 years ago now. So, revise, "modern gear circa ~2000". I actually tried a number of things but all of it tended to fall apart once you added an extension or two. The RF here is actually pretty bad.

Bidule0hm

Ok, simpler solution: wrap the whole house in copper foil :D

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Well, we got a nice Decra "shingle style" metal roof a few years back... it'll outlive me, I bet, plus it does seem to have eliminated most of the RF bleed issues.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Somehow, just wrapping the interface between S/FTP cable and shielded jack seems like a cheaper option.

rogerh

Guru
I can't help pointing out that light is electromagnetic radiation. Irrelevant, perhaps, but pedantry dictates.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can't help pointing out that light is electromagnetic radiation. Irrelevant, perhaps, but pedantry dictates.

Fortunately, electrical cables tend to work rather poorly as antennas around visible wavelengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.