Newbie Guide to FreeNAS, Plex, CouchPotato, Sickbeard , and Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMacabre

Dabbler
Oh OK, sorry I didn't get your point first. Didn't knew the file doesn't exist. Thanks for the update.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
Hi! Is it possible to install all these plugins with the single same IP as host system? It's more convenient to remember just one IP, and easier for dns and port forwarding...

Last edited:

marcevan

Patron
I think all the confusions is that the freenas doc has separate entries for plugins and sharing.

For in home use, guest:guest is fine if you lock down hosts of your PCs, tablets, and phones.

What I've found then is the couchpotato has no ability to write to a movies folder (that is guest:guest) from where it finds a completed download.

Sickbeard seems to have no troubles, but Couch does.

Is there a basic chown for Couch? I don't even know the user it runs under.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
FYI Couchpotato and Sickbeard both run under media:media (816:816). Plex runs under plex:plex (972:972), and transmission under transmission:transmission (921:921).

marcevan

Patron
So if all my media is turned to media:media, would I just add guest, plexplex, and transmission to media?

BKK

Dabbler
I've encountered a problem adding the media and guest user. I set Write for Group and Other and click OK the dialog closes but if I go back the Write permissions have not been enabled??

upload_2014-8-31_11-51-28.png

tbrezniak

Dabbler
I am having a problem with the jails. I can enter the source correctly but when I select destination it defaults me to the plugin jail and there are no folder under the media folder. Any help would be much appreciated!

ohmy!

Cadet
I've encountered a problem adding the media and guest user. I set Write for Group and Other and click OK the dialog closes but if I go back the Write permissions have not been enabled??

View attachment 4887

I encounter exactly the same problem on 9.2.1.9 - I created 'media' and 'guest' users and can't edit their Home Directory Mode permissions. I tick the boxes and save the changes but when I return to check - they are all reset.

dedek603

Cadet
Same issues at me. + Plugins with media:media permission has trouble to create own folders after Freenas restart.... (FN 9.2.1.9)

kitsune

Dabbler
Phew... that guide isn't really easy to follow for me... :-(
I'm stuck... currently I'm trying to install transmission on freenas 9.3 (just interested on transmission) ... soooo, I created 2 datasets where I could access them over CIFS with a user without a group. That works fine. I also installed transmission and I can access it over the webGUI. I also changed the IP already but I know it is not going to work because I haven't made any changes into transmission, which means my current download folder is set to

"/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads"

And I know that this doesn't work... I also haven't added Storage because I don't understand for what it is? I also haven't accessed my freenas yet over SSH and I', not sure if I need that. The only thing I don't want to do is, to access something over a guest account. My goal is to be able to download torrents over the webgui into a folder I could access over CIFS. Could somebody explain me the next steps? That would be so kind!

Last edited:

doomed

Dabbler
This is my setup on my Windows 8 machine. Make sure you have read the manual to double check things over as well.

Hi, thanks for compiling all the information.

Will you consider adding the images inline instead of links?

Would be easier to read and follow all the steps, for everyone!

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I've written the short script to automate creating the users and roles for this set of plugins (where v1 is my RAIDZ2 volume, and v1/media is dataset):

pw groupadd -n media -g 816
pw groupadd -n plex -g 972
pw groupadd -n transmission -g 921
pw useradd -n media -u 816 -d /mnt/v1/media -s /bin/csh -g media -G transmission,plex
pw useradd -n plex -u 972 -d /mnt/v1/media -s /bin/csh -g plex -G media
pw useradd -n transmission -u 921 -d /mnt/v1/media -s /bin/csh -g transmission -G media

It seemed working on 9.2.1.7release i had before...
But now on fresh install of 9.3release it runs (in GUI shell logged as root), but users and groups don't appear in GUI Accounts !
Checking from shell command line:
[root@freenas ~]# id plex
uid=972(plex) gid=972(plex) groups=972(plex),816(media)
[root@freenas ~]# id transmission
uid=921(transmission) gid=921(transmission) groups=921(transmission),816(media)
[root@freenas ~]# id media
uid=816(media) gid=816(media) groups=816(media),972(plex),921(transmission)

I don't understand, what's the problem in?
Is it a bug or misunderstood feature ?

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Hi, thanks for compiling all the information.

Will you consider adding the images inline instead of links?

Would be easier to read and follow all the steps, for everyone!

And a tip for adding inline images, use the snipping tool to grab a screenshot, click the copy button to put it on the clipboard, and then just paste (ctrl+v or right-click) into the spot in the thread.

DVitoD

Explorer
JKman: The reason why there isn't really a guide for permissions is that it's something that the server owner has to manage appropriately. As such, some cookbook guide is never going to be anything remotely close to "best case".

Best case is to learn about permissions and apply them yourself.

The two above quotes might seem contradicting.

For learning about permissions in FreeNAS one needs a manual/guide/tutorial/instruction, to learn about permissions. Especially since you need to configure them at 5 places (6, if you count plugins running in jails if I recall correctly).

One could easily avoid the 1000's threads about permissions by such a guide :)

I've read the whole 9.2 manual, and a structured, detailed, explanation about permissions where and how and how they work together, one of the cores of a server system, unfortunately is lacking :oops:

jafrey

Cadet
I think it would go a long way in helping permissions if plugin (media) users were synced to the main system without having to add them. Thankfully sabnzbd, couchpotato and sickbeard all use media.

For the VirtualBox jails The vbox uid is the same as the first one in the system. So this caused all sorts of problems on my first install because my VM zfs share now has the same permissions as my main user. (Which isn't a problem for a single user household).

Code:
 # id vbox
uid=1001(vbox) gid=1001(vbox) groups=1001(vbox),0(wheel)

ChevyX11

Cadet
@DVitoD

I am just now starting to build my own setup and am seeking simple tools as well. I found a post that appears to be what you seek (or possibly were seeking and are no longer).

Either way it is a noob permission's guide for 8.2 presented in multiple learning formats. I cannot comment on the differences between this version and 9.3 as I am just now getting into this for the first time.

Visual Map: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-set-up-example-for-dummies-visual-map.10163/

Verbose Text version the above is based upon: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-permissions-set-up-example-for-dummies.8894/

I will be running through it myself this weekend to see what I can accomplish.

Cheers

Last edited:

ChevyX11

Cadet
...Aaaaand after more time on the site and with my build I can see I was incorrect and you very correct.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Permissions changed massively since 8.2. There's a permissions guide on the way, but there's no ETA for it. The manual has a guide to simple setup, which you can use to get the basics down.

ChevyX11

Cadet
Thanks for the update! @Ericloewe I have been making progress slowly as I build a deeper understanding using the 9.3 guide as well as a few select posts from recent months.

Status
Not open for further replies.