BUILD Newbie - First NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

geometrica

Dabbler
Hi all!
I apologize in advanced for my poor English. I am planning to build my first FreeNas server! Please share your thoughts on this hardware.

Board: ASRock E3C226D2I - C226 / mITX / S1150
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz

Memory: 2 x KINGSTON 8GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC CL9
4 x WD Intern Hårddisk Red 3TB SATA III (RAIDZ2)

I will use the server for backups (photos, Time Machine...), media (music and movies) and as a torrent client.

Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds good, but I'd avoid Kingston if possible (they've been doing some nasty stuff).

What case and PSU were you planning to use?

geometrica

Dabbler
I have the Fractal Design Array R2 but I am thinking of maybe get a little bigger case (Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl? or a RVS1-06A) with room for mote then six 3.5” drivers. Is there anything special I have to think about when it comes to the PSU? I also maybe go for the X10SLH-F instead of the ASRock E3C226D2I.

Last edited:

Dennis K.

Explorer
If you go for an X10, you have to avoid Kingston RAM. There are known incompatibilities. The X10 is also a uATX mainboard that wont fit the Fractal Design Array. But I'd vote for the bigger Fractal Design DEFINE anyway, as you'll get some better airflow for ventilation. Theres also the Fractal Design Mini, if you're looking for a tad smaller case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have the Fractal Design Array R2 but I am thinking of maybe get a little bigger case (Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl? or a RVS1-06A) with room for mote then six 3.5” drivers. Is there anything special I have to think about when it comes to the PSU? I also maybe go for the X10SLH-F instead of the ASRock E3C226D2I.

If you're going with a Supermicro X10, as Dennis said, avoid Kingston at all costs. I tend to recommend Crucial (the 1.35V DIMMs their website recommends for these boards, specifically), because it's easier to find than Samsung or Hynix and has also been validated. Also, the X10SLM+-F might be slightly cheaper and the only difference is that two SATA ports are 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s (not an issue in any way).

As for the PSU, just get something decent. A Seasonic G-450, for instance, is enough for some ~13 disks.

geometrica

Dabbler
Thanks Ericloewe & Dennis!

I will definitely not to buy Kingston, I'll get the Crucial.

Also, the X10SLM+-F might be slightly cheaper and the only difference is that two SATA ports are 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s (not an issue in any way).

I'm not sure how this works but isn't the WD red SATA 6Gb/s?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks Ericloewe & Dennis for your replays.

I will definitely not to buy Kingston, I'll get the Crucial.

I'm not sure how this works but isn't the WD red SATA 6Gb/s?

Not a problem. Other than reads from its small cache, the disk cannot come close to saturating 3Gb/s.

geometrica

Dabbler
I tend to recommend Crucial (the 1.35V DIMMs their website recommends for these boards, specifically), because it's easier to find than Samsung or Hynix and has also been validated.

According to the X10SLH-F specification memory Voltage is 1.5 V. Will it still work with 1.35V DIMM?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
According to the X10SLH-F specification memory Voltage is 1.5 V. Will it still work with 1.35V DIMM?

Yes it will, their Memory List has plenty of 1.35V options - including the aforementioned Crucial/Micron modules.

geometrica

Dabbler
Yes it will, their Memory List has plenty of 1.35V options - including the aforementioned Crucial/Micron modules.

Ok, thanks Ericloewe!

Here is a updated hardware list:
Supermicro X10SLH-F
Intel Core i3 4330 3,5GHz Socket 1150 Box
Crucial DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz ECC 2x8GB
4 x WD Red WD30EFRX 64MB 3TB
Seasonic G-450 450W
Fractal Design Define R4(not sure?)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The case is always a very personal choice. There's also a funny distribution of case preferences across forums. In some places, setups like mine (ATX case with hot-swap bays added) are more common than small form factor setups.

What's important is (in order of importance) that:
The motherboard will fit (once in a while someone forgets to check that detail)
There's adequate cooling for the drives (fans blowing directly over them are optimal)
There's room for as many drives as you want, while still allowing proper cooling

Other than the case, you seem good to go, hardware-wise!

geometrica

Dabbler
I decided upon the Fractal Design Define R4. Next step is try to learn about the stuff jgreco writes about in: "Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system".

Thank you very much for your help Eric!
Best regards

Last edited:

geometrica

Dabbler
The X10SLH-F doesn't seems to support S.M.A.R.T. I can't find anything about it in the manual?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any such options in the BIOS are only useful at startup. The Intel PCH supports AHCI, including SMART.

geometrica

Dabbler
It never ends! VDev, zpool, ECC, SMART, AHCI... How much does one have to learn :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account

geometrica

Dabbler
150 hours of testing (Memtest86 & badblocks), no problems so far =)

Status
Not open for further replies.