BUILD My First FreeNAS Build (Parts are en route)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
You could/should use the extra drive as a cold spare that sits ready to go as a replacement when a drive dies.

tvsjr

Guru
You could/should use the extra drive as a cold spare that sits ready to go as a replacement when a drive dies.

Just don't forget to burn it in first before putting it on the shelf as a cold spare. The last thing you want is to pop your cold spare in, get halfway through resilvering, and your cold-spare drive die of infant mortality.

WayneC1972

Dabbler
Ok system is up and running. 6x3tb in RAIDZ2. Moved about a 1Tib over so far so good. Looks like I am getting 85 MB/s writing to the NAS from windows desktop. Going to look into iperf and see if a can get so more accurate stats.
@tvsjr - Please explain?!?

Want to thank everyone for your input..I really appreciate the help.. Applause to you all.

tvsjr

Guru
@tvsjr - Please explain?!?

@diedrichg suggested keeping a spare drive as cold spare. My point was, don't just buy a drive and throw it on the shelf. Connect it up and go through the burn-in process (documented here on the forum) that I hope you performed on your other drives. That way, you know if the drive has infant mortality issues.

fullspeed

Contributor
Ok system is up and running. 6x3tb in RAIDZ2. Moved about a 1Tib over so far so good. Looks like I am getting 85 MB/s writing to the NAS from windows desktop. Going to look into iperf and see if a can get so more accurate stats.

Looks good, nice work!

WayneC1972

Dabbler
@diedrichg suggested keeping a spare drive as cold spare. My point was, don't just buy a drive and throw it on the shelf. Connect it up and go through the burn-in process (documented here on the forum) that I hope you performed on your other drives. That way, you know if the drive has infant mortality issues.

Dammit... I didn't do that... Found thread here. Already moved 3tib to the NAS.... DOH!!! Do you suggest I blow it away, do burn in and start again?

tvsjr

Guru
Dammit... I didn't do that... Found thread here. Already moved 3tib to the NAS.... DOH!!! Do you suggest I blow it away, do burn in and start again?

I'm far from an expert... others might have differing opinions, but I'd hate to move a whole bunch of data then have a drive (or two) die of infant mortality.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Do you suggest I blow it away, do burn in and start again?
There is a non-destructive mode you can use with badblocks. Contrary to popular belief and the documentation, it doesn't take as long as the default destructive mode, because it does fewer passes.

Z300M

Guru
Hot spares are useless (for home servers) because you wear out the drive but it's not used in the pool... It's better to do a 6 drives RAID-Z3 than a 5 drives RAID-Z2 + 1 hot spare, but then it's very overkill (even my 8 drives RAID-Z3 is more or less overkill) so a 6 drives RAID-Z2 sounds good ;)
What about with 6TB "desktop" drives? IS RAIDZ3 still overkill? It seems to be generally believed that the larger the drives the greater the likelihood of another drive faulting while resilvering.

Update: I see that Seagate certifies their ST5000DX000 and ST6000DX000 drives as compatible with their NAS Pro hardware but not their lower-capacity "desktop" drives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.