BUILD My Build "Advice always appreciated and thanked!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
I thought I'd start a thread as I have begun to start the purchase of the Pieces. As money is hard to earn and come by I prefer to spend smart money as I don't have stupid money like the rich and famous :).

Purpose of My NAS:
1) Store my movies for home use. Potentially up to 5-6 connected devices using Kodi (XBMC)
2) Store homemade movies and pictures
3) Back-up PC's (2x at 1TB)
4) Run SabNZB,Couch Potato, Sickbeard

Updated : November 22/2015
Purchased to date:
1) Define R4 Black Pearl - 70 bucks CDN used (Great condition)
2) Installed -SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600 from newegg.ca $294.00 CDN.
3) Installed - Cooler Master V650 - Compact 650W 80 PLUS Gold Modular PSU (6th Generation Skylake Compatible) from newegg.ca $99.00
4) On Order - Intel Core i3-4170 3M Haswell Dual-Core 3.7 GHz LGA 1150 54W BX80646I34170 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400 $149.00 CDN.
5) On Order -
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B $ 169.00 CDN
6) On Order -
32GB SATADOM-MV 3ME MLC 4 channel(s) 460MB/s
DESMV-32GD06SC1QC - $ 72.00 CDN
7) On Order - (2)
Cooler Master JetFlo 120 - POM Bearing 120mm Blue LED High Performance Silent Fan - $ 34.00

Future consideration:

4) HardDrives WD Red drives (Size TBD)

Raid ???

Here is where I struggle...Advice is RAIDZ2. Do I really need that redundancy for a home movie server? If I loose my movies oh well...start over. I will backup personal data. This why I am leaning towards RAIDZ1 as being down a short period isn't a huge concern. Cost of drives is. Still trying to figure out the zpool/VDev and mirror setup for my system.

Jeff
in Ontario

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The type of redundancy you choose for your pool is entirely your choice based on the value of your data and the amount of risk you are willing to take in losing it. You sound like you've calculated that risk and as long as you are comfortable with it then RAIDZ1 is fine.

Nick2253

Wizard
The reason that RAIDZ2 is recommended is that it protects from a simultaneous bit-rot and drive failure event. If you're comfortable with the risks of RAIDZ1, go for it - there's really nothing but your data stopping you.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Advice is RAIDZ2. Do I really need that redundancy for a home movie server? If I loose my movies oh well...start over.
Don't forget the time it will take you to put everything back.

It's also worth noting that once you have a FreeNAS up and running, you will find additional uses for it that you didn't anticipate. These might be uses that you feel deserve greater redundancy. If so, you will have to either live without it, or destroy and rebuild your pool to add it.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Ok, updated my Build. Please review :). I believe I am on the right path. This is my first build (PC, etc.) ever.
The motherboard and power supply are installed. As I await delivery of the next three parts (CPU,Memory and SATADOM) I am figuring out my installation and setup. I have the following questions at this moment.
1) Does the SATADOM plug directly into one of my SATA ports ? I assume SATA 3.0. The X10 supports power internally to the SATADOM I purchased ?
2) How do I get FreeNAS onto the SATADOM? please point in right direction....not expecting spoon feeding.
3) With the X10 I assume I should connect my drives to the SAS ports. I'm a bit confused as to what I need to do to configure/setup the board.

Jeff

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
1. That board does not support DOM power directly from the SATA port. You'll have to plug in the auxilliary power connector on your dom to the power connector located near the SATA port on your motherboard. I have the same board and if you look at the picture below you can see how it connects.
2. IPMI is your friend here. Use the IPMI KVM interface to mount the FreeNAS iso and install it to the DOM.
3. You can connect the drives to the SAS or SATA ports, it's your choice. If you use the SAS ports you'll have to flash your on board controller to P20 IT mode. See the attached document for instructions on how to do that and a link to the firmware downloads page.

Attachments

• flash_x9srh-7tf_it.pdf
    351.7 KB · Views: 247

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Thanks Jailer,
Picture is a thousand words. Can I assume the SATADOM I ordered comes with auxiliary power connector? picture and documents aren't clear to me.
8922-acb4a6242cb1b1b58d29f84e08eb8934.jpg

Jeff

Attachments

• nodered008.jpg
    nodered008.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 278

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have no idea if that brand ships with one or not.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Update:
My Satadom is on Backorder, This is the one I ordered and paid for.
SATADOM-MV 3ME MLC
Innodisk SATADOM-MV 3ME is designed as the standard Mini PCIe form factor with SATA interface, and supports SATA III standard (6.0Gb/s) with excellent performance. Regarding of mechanical interference, InnoDisk SATADOM-MV 3ME absolutely replaces the traditional hard disk and makes personal computer, in any field, smaller and easier.

Innodisk SATADOM-MV 3ME effectively reduces the booting time of operation system and the power consumption is less than hard disk drive (HDD), and complies with ATA protocol, no additional drives are required, and can be configured as a boot device or data storage device.

• SATA 6Gb/s interface
  • iSMART disk health monitoring
  • Intelligent error recovery system
  • Excellent data transfer speed
  • Write protection security
  • Zero mechanical interference
  • Anti-vibration mechanical design

This is a replacement they have offered.

InnoLite SATADOM D150QV-L Low Profile Power Pin 7 and Power Cable
Qualified by Intel, InnoDisk InnoLite SATADOM D150QV-L is the world s smallest SATA SSD, featuring built-in Pin 7 VCC that enhances the functionality of various embedded applications. With its cable-less and rugged design, the D150QV provides high reliability and is easily integrated with other systems. The InnoLite SATADOM D150QV is also lightweight, comes with multiple channels, and is available in capacities from 8GB up to 128GB.

• Built-in Power Pin 7 VCC
  • S.M.A.R.T / iSMART disk health monitoring tool
  • Intelligent error recovery system
  • Excellent data transfer speed
  • Write protection security
  • Zero mechanical interference
  • Anti-vibration mechanical design
  • Built-in thermal sensor

Thoughts? I do see that my original one ordered is SATA III and the in stock replacement is SATA II

Jeff

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
This is a good thing if your mobo has a SATA port that supplies power.

For a boot device, I doubt you will notice the difference.
I believe my mobo (SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600) doesn't support power on the SATA port but does have
  • SATA DOM (Disk on Module) power connector support
I am also assuming (limited knowledge) the SATA II will have little to no impact on my system. I just want to insure the function/speed/reliability into the future. I am looking at a two week wait for the original one ordered.

Jeff

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
On the Quick Reference PDF "JSD1 SATA DOM (Device_On_Module) Power Connector" is hard to see but looks just like a jumper connector. If the DOM comes with a matching pigtail, you're all set.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
On the Quick Reference PDF "JSD1 SATA DOM (Device_On_Module) Power Connector" is hard to see but looks just like a jumper connector. If the DOM comes with a matching pigtail, you're all set.

Web documentation is a bit confusing, I will check my X10 when I get home tonight. It may be an issue of technology leading documentation.
  • Plugs into SATA connector on motherboard
  • For X10 motherboards: yellow SATA connector, built-in power pins - no need for power cable
  • For X9 motherboards: white SATA connector - requires 5V cable
X10 Generation Boards X9 Generation Boards
SATADOM_x10_connect.jpg
SATADOM_x9_connect.jpg

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Yup correct .... white sata connector on mine. Jailer do you see any issues with the InnoLite SATADOM D150QV-L Low Profile Power Pin 7 and Power Cable

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Given the choice I'd go for the D150QV so it's doesn't obstruct the adjacent SATA port. Also regardless of the fact that it supports SATA pin 7 power, the X10SL7 does not provide power via the SATA port. You must provide external power via the SATA DOM power connector on the motherboard.

Having said that my SATA DOM experience is limited to a sample size of 1 and it's not an InnoDisk product so I really can't recommend anything based on experience.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
3. You can connect the drives to the SAS or SATA ports, it's your choice. If you use the SAS ports you'll have to flash your on board controller to P20 IT mode. See the attached document for instructions on how to do that and a link to the firmware downloads page.
Hey Jailer,
All my parts should be in shortly (less hd's) and I want to get FreeNas installed and my SAS ports switched to SATA. The attached pdf looks a bit daunting but I will give it a go. Are these the most current instructions and files? My concern is x9 file and my board is a x10. Just trying to cross my t's and dot my i's before I start. Too much invested now to screw it up.

For the FreeNas installation I was thinking I would put the .iso on a usb stick and install to SATADOM with IPMI.

Jeff

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The directions are the same just make sure you download the correct files for your board. The directions I attached were for an older x9 board but they are the same for an x10 board. The FTP link in the pdf is correct but you'll have to navigate to the P20 IT directory to get the correct files for your board.

Fuganater

Patron
Dump the SATADOM and get 2x 16GB Sandisk Cruizer Fit 2.0's.

Status
Not open for further replies.