Moving Data from one share to another. Different datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwnerman

Explorer
Hello,

My system is quite simple and I'm really the only one who uses it. I have three datasets. Media, Downloads and Personal. Transmission downloads everything into Downloads and then after awhile I empty it out and move everything into the other two datasets depending on whatever I have downloaded.

My question to you guys is why is it that I can transfer data from the FreeNas box to my PC for example at full gigabit speeds but when I want to transfer files from lets say Downloads to Personal my transfer speeds get cut in half to around 45-50 megabytes per second. I understand that with the way FreeNas works it's essentially acting like it's copying data from one drive to another. I just don't think it's supposed to be that slow. In reality if it's moving data between drives shouldn't I be getting a saturated SATA 3 throughput?

I'm running this in a R710 with like 8 cores of zeon processors and 48 gigs of ram. I have 6, 4TB disks in a Raid Z2. Could it be a ram issue? I only ever have around 1 gb free but I read that is supposed to happen with FreeNas.

If anyone could educate me on what I can do or if you need more information please tell me. Also please tell me how to get said info haha.

m0nkey_

MVP
but when I want to transfer files from lets say Downloads to Personal my transfer speeds get cut in half to around 45-50 megabytes per second.
If you're doing this from a desktop PC, this is going to happen. Half is used to download while the other half is used to upload.

pwnerman

Explorer
If you're doing this from a desktop PC, this is going to happen. Half is used to download while the other half is used to upload.
im a tad confused by what you mean. all the data is stored on the freenas box on the downloads dataset. why is it when i move data from one dataset to another are my transfer speeds so slow? it isnt like that when i move data from the freenas box to my actual computer

Are you logging in the server using ssh and moving the data that way, using mv or equivalent commands running on the server? This workflow does all the work on the server. If you are doing it from Windows, the data is transferred from the Downloads dataset to Windows, then from Windows to the new dataset.

bigphil

Patron
You should move the data internally on the box like Kevin suggests. However, FreeNAS 9.3 also introduced support for Microsoft ODX so it's not always the case where files have to traverse over the network when copying. You have to have a proper setup to allow it, but just worth noting for the future.

pwnerman

Explorer
Are you logging in the server using ssh and moving the data that way, using mv or equivalent commands running on the server? This workflow does all the work on the server. If you are doing it from Windows, the data is transferred from the Downloads dataset to Windows, then from Windows to the new dataset.

oh I see, so half the bandwidth is being used to copy the data to the PC and then the other half is being used to move the data from the PC to the other dataset. That is weird to me why that needs to happen but I'm sure there is a technical reason beyond my comprehension that requires it to be done that way.

You should move the data internally on the box like Kevin suggests. However, FreeNAS 9.3 also introduced support for Microsoft ODX so it's not always the case where files have to traverse over the network when copying. You have to have a proper setup to allow it, but just worth noting for the future.
But, as the OP is running RAIDZ2, Microsoft ODX isn't an option, if I understand the requirements correctly. Judging by the tiny number of threads a search for ODX on this forum finds, it either works perfectly, with no one ever having problems, or few non-professional FreeNAS users are using it (quite likely, due to the very specific, and expensive requirements).

bigphil

Patron
But, as the OP is running RAIDZ2, Microsoft ODX isn't an option, if I understand the requirements correctly. Judging by the tiny number of threads a search for ODX on this forum finds, it either works perfectly, with no one ever having problems, or few non-professional FreeNAS users are using it (quite likely, due to the very specific, and expensive requirements).

What does RAIDZ2 have to do with supporting ODX? Do you have a reference somewhere that it is a requirement to have some other protection level? Only requirement that I saw was to use iSCSI and Windows 8 or newer OS. But again...I was merely pointing out that files don't always have to traverse the network if your setup allows it.

What does RAIDZ2 have to do with supporting ODX? Do you have a reference somewhere that it is a requirement to have some other protection level? Only requirement that I saw was to use iSCSI and Windows 8 or newer OS. But again...I was merely pointing out that files don't always have to traverse the network if your setup allows it.
Hmm. Too much wine last night, I think. I agree that my comment doesn't make sense in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.