Encrypting my FreeNAS box and moving data

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegtor

Explorer
Hi guys I want to encrypt my FreeNAS box

To do this I have to destroy my current volume and create new encrypted one with my disks that will erase all data on them

What is the best way to transfer data from my old volume to new encrypted one?

I have to move few datasets and few zvol's for my VM's

It would be probably easy to do just download data on your PC via SMB then put it back but i don't know what to do with my ZVOL's or how to transfer them

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
To do this I have to destroy my current volume and create new encrypted one with my disks that will erase all data on them
It is said to be possible to encrypt the pool in place, but it would require some jiggery-pokery at the CLI. A search here should find instructions.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Replication can also be done to the same system, either by defining the "second" system as localhost, or from the command line with zfs send | zfs recv.

gegtor

Explorer
It is said to be possible to encrypt the pool in place, but it would require some jiggery-pokery at the CLI. A search here should find instructions.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-encrypt-an-existing-raidz-or-mirror.16975/

This seems interesting but i'm afraid of doing something wrong

And i'm not sure about that system dataset thing and what i should do this guy described there
I have followed this how to, and it worked greatly! Thanks a lot for your post!

Only one note: I had the main system dataset on the same volume of the one that I have encrypted. When I clicked to button to deatach the pool the system crashed becouse the pool had the system dataset. After a few reboots it fixed itself, and I have then successfully deatached the volume and finished the process without troubles.

I think that if I had moved the system dataset before deatach the pool I would not encouter this little problem.

PS: and of course, once the pool is up, remember to move the Sytem Dataset there!!!

danb35

Hall of Famer
And i'm not sure about that system dataset thing and what i should do this guy described there
Move the .system dataset back to your boot device, do the encryption procedure, then move it back to your data pool.

Note that I can't vouch for that encryption procedure; I don't mess with encryption on FreeNAS. But logic suggests it should work.

gegtor

Explorer
Yeah it looks logical

How do i move my system dataset? (i'm new to FreeNAS and how it works)
Can i just select freenas-boot in System >> System Dataset?

gegtor

Explorer
Cool :)
Thanks for helping me out :))
I will start on Friday because now everyone is working on this NAS

One last question should i use SSH or Shell? because i don't know if it has any effects on settings database

danb35

Hall of Famer
upload_2018-1-10_15-41-55.png

gegtor

Explorer
Worked like a charm

This should be build in to the GUI it works really well

Status
Not open for further replies.