SOLVED Sudden change in data transfer speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuKe

Dabbler
Hello there.

A couple of days ago I noticed that I suddenly have got very bad performance on my FreeNAS box.

I'm usually able to transfer files at speeds up to 65 mb/s between the drives on my FreeNAS box, and up to 85 mb/s when transferring files from my desktop to my FreeNAS.

But now, I can max get 1.2 mb/s in transfer speed? I haven't changed anything on the system before this happened.

The slow transfer speed occurs both on CIFS and FTP.

Heres my system specs:

FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64
CPU: AMD A4-3300 APU 2.5 Ghz
Mobo: MSI A55M-P35
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8 GB 1600 Mhz

Harddrive setup:
2x2 TB WD Green EARX in RAID1 (Used for storing all my pictures, movies and music)
1x1 TB WD Red (Used for jails)
1x1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM + 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM in RAID0 (used for storing a lot of temporary files, not anything important).

Everything looks fine when I run zpool status and zpool list.

I've been searching for the forums here for hours to try to find a solution to my problem, but I didn't manage to find anything that could help out my problem, so I really hope that some you guys in here can point me in the right direction, because this is really annoying me since I'm moving around a lot files almost every day.

Thanks in advance.

FuKe

Dabbler
Just forgot to point this out:

When I'm moving files from the "jailDisk" to the "tempdisk" it seems to have effect on the read speed on my Media drive too.. Because if I'm listening to music from the Media drive while moving files from the jaildisk to the tempdisk, my music player is buffering all the time..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Have you ruled out a bad ethernet cable? If every single transfer is suddenly slow on a system with plenty of RAM, I have found on the irc channel that over 50% of the time, it is a bad ethernet cable somewhere.

FuKe

Dabbler
Oh jeez, I didn't think about that.. The network cable caused the problem! Thank you very much! :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Nobody ever thinks of the 50 cent ethernet cable.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, I assume in your original post when you said you had been throttled down to "1.2 mb/s" that you must actually mean 1.2MBps, and *THAT* would make total sense with a bad ethernet cable, because your switch, on the auto-negotiate step, could easily put the link in 10 Mbps mode because of the degraded cable, and then you'd have 10 Mbps == 1.25 MBps, thus explaining your throughput.

Status
Not open for further replies.