Performance slow - CIFS Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubX

Explorer
Due to a disk being toasted, I start to move around data within my FreeNAS and noticed that the data transfer rate is quite slow. Below please find the background.

Setup:
- FreeNAS 9.10, one Gigabit NIC, two CIFS share (share1 & share2), no jumbo frame setup, VLAN
- Cisco SG300-28G switch, all port up Gigabit connection, VLAN, no jumbo frame
- ESXi vmnic Gigabit, VLAN, no jumbo frame, VM1 has connection to share1 & share 2
- Within VM1 copy file from share1 to share2

Notice
- file transfer rate is around 20M-25M/s

Questions,
1. Gigabit should be way faster then 20M-25M/s, what steps to troubleshoot this and make it faster?
2. Any tools to monitor the bandwidth at each connection point and pin down the bottleneck?
3. Will enabling Jumbo frame works? It needs to be enabled at each component, ESXi iSCSI vSwitch(vmnic),FreeNAS, Cisco SG300, ESXi VM networking (is this required? I doubt it as all storage related activities is at iSCSI level, need expert's input here)

Thanks,

joeschmuck

Old Man
Unfortunately your data is missing some key information such as what size are the files being transferred, what are you transferring the data from/to, you talk about iSCSI so it this your limitation? Also your actual system hardware and configuration could be an issue but we won't know until you post that data.

There are a lot of postings on our forums dealing with percieved slow file transfers so i would recommend that you do a Google search for something like "freenas slow transfer" and then locate a thread which tells you how to test your system for both internal drive transfer rates and external transfer rates. If you are transferring a lot of small files then your system may be operating normally. It could also be the recieving system is slow, maybe it has a laptop hard drive? We have seen it all here so I make no assumption.

I'm sure you will figure it out quickly and if you can't after running some tests, post again and state the tests you ran and the exact results of each.

SubX

Explorer
Unfortunately your data is missing some key information such as what size are the files being transferred, what are you transferring the data from/to, you talk about iSCSI so it this your limitation? Also your actual system hardware and configuration could be an issue but we won't know until you post that data.

There are a lot of postings on our forums dealing with percieved slow file transfers so i would recommend that you do a Google search for something like "freenas slow transfer" and then locate a thread which tells you how to test your system for both internal drive transfer rates and external transfer rates. If you are transferring a lot of small files then your system may be operating normally. It could also be the recieving system is slow, maybe it has a laptop hard drive? We have seen it all here so I make no assumption.

I'm sure you will figure it out quickly and if you can't after running some tests, post again and state the tests you ran and the exact results of each.
Let me start searching it, it seems that there are quite a bit of method and discussion. Will post my result and more detail setup info thereafter.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.