Slow transfer speed between local disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Likvid

Cadet
I have major slow transfer speeds copying between two local disks in my FreeNAS 8.0.

I got one disk with ZFS Volume and a NTFS volume i have mounted as local.

I have tried to copy all files from my NTFS volume to the ZFS volume but the transfer speeds are so slow.

The two disks are identical Samsung F1 1TB, set to AHCI in BIOS.

I checked out with rsync and i get 13.79M Bytes/sec for a 4.75GB file.....

What is going on here?

rsync does more than just copy.

what is the rest of your hardware, how are the drives configured, we need more info to help.

Likvid

Cadet
rsync does more than just copy.

what is the rest of your hardware, how are the drives configured, we need more info to help.

Asus P5B-Deluxe board.
4GB of RAM
Intel C2D 2.13GHz

Drives set to AHCI in BIOS

1 Samsung F1 1TB as ZFS volume
1 Samsung F1 TB as NTFS volume manually mounted to transfer all files to the ZFS Volume above.

cp gives the same result as rsync so there is something wrong here, i did try to FTP a large file to the ZFS volume and i got some acceptable results, but the internal transfer between the disks are not good.

i'm not sure of NTFS support is built into the kernel or is done in user mode. if it's in user that could explain it.

are you using the x64 or the x32 version of FreeNAS? use the x64 version if you're not.

try using a different controller for the sata. you've got 6 on the ICH8 (the 6 in a cluster) and 2 on the JMicron JMB363 (one lone one and one external). however they are set, try something different so we can maybe get some more info.

can you cram another 4 GB of ram into it?

Likvid

Cadet
I am running x64 FreeNAS, yes i will buy another 4GB tomorrow as i need more disks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.