Motherboards that boot automatically from USB without pressing F8 or so [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am putting together a new server which will run freenas 8.3.0. When everything is configured it will run without monitor or keyboard. I already have a usb flash drive which has freenas installed on it and it boots up on my pc. But not automatically. Everytime I have to press F8 and select the USB boot device. This will not work with my new Server (there will be no keyboard connected to it). I have searched and googled but I haven't found a solution to the problem.
Are the motherboards that don't require to press F8 everytime and which are these motherboards?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
its as simple as going into the BIOS on the server and telling it to boot from USB

I have tested this with my pc, it has an asus motherboard (P6T SE) and changed the boot sequence even removed the number two en three so that it could only boot from my usb device (removable device). But it still does not automatically boot from my usb stick, if i don't press F8 it hangs with some message about inserting proper boot rom... How do I solve this?

stlouis1

Dabbler
if it's an asus board, i may be wrong, but some usb devices will show up as a hard drive in the bios

when you set the hard drive as first boot, there's another menu for hard disk priority, see if your usb stick is showing up at the end of that list. I could be wrong but I do believe I have a couple boards like that

JaimieV

Guru
If that doesn't solve it, check for an updated BIOS for your board. This is a feature that *should* work, and if it doesn't, it's a bug in the firmware.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
if it's an asus board, i may be wrong, but some usb devices will show up as a hard drive in the bios

when you set the hard drive as first boot, there's another menu for hard disk priority, see if your usb stick is showing up at the end of that list. I could be wrong but I do believe I have a couple boards like that

This.....100%

there are 2 'boot settings'
one that tells it to boot from hdd/optical/network/etc and in what order
one menu that tells it WHICH hdd is first/second/third

fix the menu that tells which hdd you want to boot first....you need to set it to the USB drive.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Something else to be aware of is on rare occasions, and I'm not saying this applies to your MB, but the bootable USB device must be in a specific USB port. Typically it's one of the MB back panel ports. If you cannot fix it through the BIOS settings, try a different USB port.

Hi, Thanks
It was the part in the bios where you set the usb flash drive as first place instead of the hard drive, that did the trick
thanks a lot
This wil probably work for other asus motherboards as well, as I am going to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.