Is it possible to boot automatically from USB on a P5K SE motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John McC

Dabbler
I have a P5K SE motherboard in the computer I'm trying to use for FreeNAS 9.2.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the motherboard Bios options to boot automatically from USB? I can't see how - USB isn't a choice in the Bios Boot menu.

I can do it manually by pressing F8 during bootup, but I can't find any way in the bios of setting the Bios order so it will boot from USB automatically - no entry for USB appears in the Bios Boot sequence menu. Whether I set the Advanced USB options to treat the memory stick as Auto, Floppy Disk, CD Rom, or HDD it never appears in the Bios Boot menu, only in the list of manual choice of device to boot from, and even if I (for example) set it as CD Rom, when I try to boot from ATAPI CD Rom (one of the choices) it isn't recognised as a valid boot disk.

I have bios version 1008. There are two later bios versions, but neither of the descriptions mention USB boot options in the issues fixed.

Would it be worth trying to update to the latest version, in the hope that it fixes this issue, or is that a waste of time?

And if this is the wrong forum to ask, please accept my apologies. I can't access Asus Support to ask there, as the Support form has too many Required fields about the hardware that I can't answer, so I can't get the question posted to Tech Support there.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're going to have to ask Asus that question. That's not a FreeNAS question...

Status
Not open for further replies.