Mini XL+ only sees 2 of 8 drives. What to check?

dev_willis

Dabbler
I bought a Mini XL+ shell and installed 8x8TB WD Red Plus drives in it. After powering it on for the first time (which happened the moment I plugged in the power cord) the system seems to be identifying only 2 of the 8 drives installed, in addition to the OS and L2ARC drives. There are no lights on one of the bays and during boot I see a series of ATA errors. See attached photo. Also, during boot, there's this horrible, staccato, screeching and scratching sound that puts me in mind of a head dragging across a platter. So it seems like the drive in the bay with no lights may be bad. But 6 of the 8 drives bad? That doesn't seem likely. I rebooted, of course, which involves spinning the drives down and then back up again so quickly it kinda makes me uncomfortable, tho it may be normal and fine, and I shut it down and reseated all the drives as well but there's no change. I'm not sure what else to try. The system is running FreeNAS 11.3-U5. I figured out how to upgrade to 12 so I went ahead and did that. Now it's running 12.0 U2.1. Still only two disks visible tho.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• _V9A6546.jpg
    _V9A6546.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

dev_willis

Dabbler
The thing also hums and vibrates like a microwave oven on high. Is that normal? It's been a good while since I had any machines with spinners in them but I don't remember them being this bad.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Do retail WD Red Plus drives also have the 3.3v PWDIS (power disable) pin? It's possible that's what's shutting them down, but why it would hit six out of eight and not all of them I'm not sure. The "noise on startup" concerns me, could be a fan but if it's a drive making that sort of racket it's almost certainly dead.

I would second the recommendation of @blanchet to contact iX support directly for the hardware issues.

dev_willis

Dabbler
Do retail WD Red Plus drives also have the 3.3v PWDIS (power disable) pin? It's possible that's what's shutting them down, but why it would hit six out of eight and not all of them I'm not sure. The "noise on startup" concerns me, could be a fan but if it's a drive making that sort of racket it's almost certainly dead.

I would second the recommendation of @blanchet to contact iX support directly for the hardware issues.
As far as I can tell they do not have this. If they do, would iX be using the "legacy" power supplies that cause the problem?

I've opened a support ticket. Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I bought a Mini XL+ shell
Where did you purchase this case from? Was it a used case?
Also, during boot, there's this horrible, staccato, screeching and scratching sound that puts me in mind of a head dragging across a platter.
Sounds like a fan bearing. Odds of you hearing a hard drive stretching are pretty slim, or the drive motor could be bad but that has got to be rare.

dev_willis

Dabbler
Where did you purchase this case from? Was it a used case?

Sounds like a fan bearing. Odds of you hearing a hard drive stretching are pretty slim, or the drive motor could be bad but that has got to be rare.
I purchased the case new, directly from iX via their website. I've been in touch iX support. After sending them some debug logs and following the troubleshooting steps they recommended it looks like I really do have 6, maybe 7 bad drives here. I pulled all the drives out and added them one at a time and four of them make the scratching/clicking sound and then fail to mount with the same error message in the photo. Two more sound like a jet engine spooling up when I plug them in, which is where the "microwave on high" effect was coming from, and also fail to mount. Of the two that do mount, one of them is also making the same scratching/clicking sound as the others but not quite as bad.

I wonder if maybe they were on a truck that wrecked during transit or something like that. A 75%+ failure rate is crazy. Whatever happened, it seems likely that the two that mount aren't exactly in perfect condition so I'm going to send them all back.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

Adrian

Contributor
Name and shame the vendor of the drives!

dev_willis

Dabbler
Name and shame the vendor of the drives!
I bought them straight from Western Digital, via their Amazon store.

Edit:
Turns out the Western Digital Amazon store is actually Olive Branch Enterprises.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
What are the drive model numbers? I'm just curious. It is odd to have such a high failure rate. Of course they would still be under warranty by WD if they were new. If you looked up the serial numbers on their website then you would know for sure.

G8One2

Patron
Amazon has issues with counterfeit products, and have for a number of years. Not to say that you got counterfeit drives, but I wouldn't be suprised if you did. Can the drives be registered for warranty?

dev_willis

Dabbler
What are the drive model numbers? I'm just curious. It is odd to have such a high failure rate. Of course they would still be under warranty by WD if they were new. If you looked up the serial numbers on their website then you would know for sure.

Amazon has issues with counterfeit products, and have for a number of years. Not to say that you got counterfeit drives, but I wouldn't be suprised if you did. Can the drives be registered for warranty?

The drives are all model WD80EFAX-68KNBN0. I checked the warranty status for one of them at wd.com and it comes back with the below information. I was able to register this drive for warranty as well.

VGHSYVYGOUT OF REGIONWD80EFAX-68KNBN0WDVL8 5400 256M SATA3 6GB/S 8.0 TB 10HD NAS HGST4-Dec-2023

G8One2

Patron
Well if they are covered under warranty, send them in. Have you run any SMART tests on them? I'd want to make sure the serial numbers displayed in the SMART results match the drive, and that there isn't anything to indicate they were used.

dev_willis

Dabbler
Well if they are covered under warranty, send them in. Have you run any SMART tests on them? I'd want to make sure the serial numbers displayed in the SMART results match the drive, and that there isn't anything to indicate they were used.
They don't work enough to run any tests. After looking at the debug data I sent them, iX support said they had failed too badly to get any info from them at all. I reached out to WD support about it and they said I should take it up with the seller first and RMA only if that doesn't work out. I'm currently waiting on a response from the seller.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My advice, have the seller take back ALL the hard drives and get all your money back. Since you purchased on Amazon, you can always go through them if the seller does not want to honor a refund. Also, have the seller pay for shipping the drives back if possible, that can be difficult. Once done then try to purchase another set of drives from hopefully a more reputable site. I don't know where you live so I'm not able to provide advice on a source. And if the deal is too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

Very sad to hear that you have had this kind of experience. I've been fortunate when it comes to hard drives but let me tell you, I have had some drives shipped in terrible packaging and surprised they made it and worked beyond the warranty.

G8One2

Patron
I've seen drive with stickers replaced on them before. Some thing I just won't buy from amazon. I dont know if its just my resident area, but I have had terrible experiences with amazon more than a couple times in the past. Their prices really aren't even very competitive anymore, not like they used to be. I generally try NOT to buy from amazon, but many times, it's the only place to get certain things.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you have one of those camera's on your front porch showing the Amazon delivery person throwing the box of drives 10 feet to the door? My goodness it's very possible your shipment was mishandled but for there to be that many drives not working, it must be more serious. Maybe someone degaused them? Well hope you get it all squared away.

dev_willis

Dabbler
My advice, have the seller take back ALL the hard drives and get all your money back. Since you purchased on Amazon, you can always go through them if the seller does not want to honor a refund. Also, have the seller pay for shipping the drives back if possible, that can be difficult. Once done then try to purchase another set of drives from hopefully a more reputable site. I don't know where you live so I'm not able to provide advice on a source. And if the deal is too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

Very sad to hear that you have had this kind of experience. I've been fortunate when it comes to hard drives but let me tell you, I have had some drives shipped in terrible packaging and surprised they made it and worked beyond the warranty.
Yeah, that's my plan. Whatever happened to them most likely happened to all of them. What's weird tho is that nothing about this was a too-good-to-be-true type thing. I thought I was buying them directly from Western Digital via their Amazon store, which I would have expected to be run by WD themselves, and the price was typical apart from free shipping. I didn't know anything about this Olive Branch Enterprises business until I reached out to an Amazon CSA for help. I'm still not sure if Western Digital's official Amazon store is run by this third-party or if the seller got swapped somewhere in process, maybe by an Amazon algorithm or something. Either way, I was certainly surprised to find out I wasn't dealing directly with WD.

The seller finally tried reach me, via phone call, last night at 11pm but I was asleep so I missed it. I called the number back this morning but got another Amazon CSA. However, this time the CSA was able to do a free replacement thing, which the first one hadn't been able to do for some reason, and supposedly eight more drives will be showing up on Friday. The email I received about it listed only six drives tho and the replacement order on the site is broken up into two groups of two and one of four so I'm not sure what all is going to happen. We'll see what shows up. C'est la vie.

I don't have any cameras or anything but it does seem like somebody chucked them. Maybe the truck they were on wrecked. Who knows. The only thing that seemed amiss is that the delivery report says the package "was handed directly to a resident" when in fact I found the box sitting on the driveway. But that kinda thing has become rather common in these times of COVID concerns so I didn't think anything about it.

I've seen drive with stickers replaced on them before. Some thing I just won't buy from amazon. I dont know if its just my resident area, but I have had terrible experiences with amazon more than a couple times in the past. Their prices really aren't even very competitive anymore, not like they used to be. I generally try NOT to buy from amazon, but many times, it's the only place to get certain things.
I wondered about the stickers being replaced. I couldn't see any indication that they had been tampered with tho; they appear to be well-adhered. I didn't see any model or serial type numbers on the metal itself to check against though.

In hindsight, I should have just bought a Mini with the drives already in it. The 8TB drive hit the price-per-TB target I was looking for but iX doesn't offer that size so I decided to source them myself. Next time I'll just upgrade to the 10TB drives and let iX handle it lol

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad the CSA was helpful and that you should be getting some new drives in the mail. Remember to do the burn-in testing of the drives before setting them up to hold data. That will take a very long time to do a full burn-in test so even if you wanted to run it the drives through just one completed pass (all test patterns), that would at least give you some confidence in the drives that passed but many folks would like to see the drives run for a solid week, some folks even longer. With those large drives, it's going to take many days to complete a single pass for all test patterns.

Keep us updated.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
My burn-in with the new NAS was to have replication tasks from the old to the new NAS for a bit more than one month. Only then did I gradually switch over, one dataset at a time.

As to buying hard disks from Amazon, I have stopped doing so. Here in Germany the packaging of hard disks is comparable to e.g. chewing gum. They literally take the disk with only the ESD bag around it and throw in a box with zero dampening material. So it rolls around in the box all the time and damage is guaranteed.