TrueNAS Mini XL+ Hardware

FlyingHacker

Dabbler
If instead of building I opt to go with the TrueNAS Mini XL+ I was wondering how accessible the hardware is? For instance, does the power supply use standard connectors? In another branded NAS we had a PSU failure, and the PSU was non-standard so we couldn't just hang an ATX supply off the open case to get it running again.

This is one reason I am considering building-- because we can use commodity hardware, and easily and cheaply keep spare parts around.

I have heard about drive temperature issue with some of the Mini hardware. Are the fans easily up gradable to something that moves more air? Will this be an issue with 8 rust drives in a TrueNAS Mini XL+ ?

Thanks in advance.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

FlyingHacker

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what sort of PSU is in the unit, as I would want to have a spare on hand.

Any comment on the reports of hot drives? Would changing the fans out for higher volume models void the warranty? Do your products have the silly Warranty Void if Seal is broken stickers?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The power supply is a Flex-ATX form factor. For additional drive bay cooling, you could replace the 120mm PWM fan in the back, or modify the BIOS so this fan spins at 100% constantly. The fans in the front are for cooling the motherboard itself.

I don't run this myself, so I wouldn't know if there are those stickers inside. Nor am I an official iX representative.