TrueNAS SCALE and Mini E

Geo99

Cadet
Is there an issue running TrueNAS SCALE on a Mini E server?

I see a list of IXsystems compatible hardware showing "Mini X+/XL+, R-Series, M-Series". I'm only looking for a small home-office machine, and the Mini E looks ideal ... but I want to reserve the option to upgrade from CORE to SCALE at a future time. Hence the question

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Mini E is a 1Gbe NAS and is not recommended for clustering.
Otherwise it is expected to work with SCALE. Right now it is missing enclosure management.

@morganL I just picked up the Mini E, I do not plan to scale this one so will it work reliably with Scale? Also, what enclosure management are you speaking of? The enclosure looked pretty good to me.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
what enclosure management are you speaking of? The enclosure looked pretty good to me.

That enclosure that you think looks pretty good can be managed, such as sensing for power usage and temperature, plus more esoteric SCSI stuff, which is mostly a matter of making lights do the right things in response to drives failing, drive activity lights in some cases, etc. This is referred to as "enclosure management" by the SCSI spec. You can read up more at

if interested. Typically the thing of greatest interest to NAS users is getting the red death LED's of doom lined up in the correct slot so that you pull the correct drive when replacing a failed disk.