Migrating Plex jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

icey_u22

Cadet
Hey guys I'm new to this whole FreeNAS thing so what happened is my boot media died (was a old flash drive i had laying around) so i have now reinstalled FreeNAS on fresh media. the system is a 8350 with 2x 3tb Toshiba 7200rpm

so now i need to move my old plex jail into my new one i'm looking for the simplest way possible also all the media collection is kept in the jail

NEW location - /mnt/MainLine/jails/plexmediaserver_2

OLD location - /mnt/MainLine/jails/plexmediaserver_1

all vid files are here : /mnt/MainLine/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media

thanks for the help and I'm sure i will be posting again shortly....
I'm a NOOOOOB

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please follow the forum rules and post the required system information, you have only provided your hard drives and I think part of your CPU model number, you are missing the version of FreeNAS old and new. This will help us provide you a good answer to your question/problem.

Also, if only your boot media died and you replaced it, rebuilt it, and restored your configuration file, I'm not sure why you would need to move your Plex jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also storing your media in your jail is a bad idea. Add storage to your jail and store your media files in a separate dataset.

icey_u22

Cadet
system:
fx 8350 cpu
asus 990fx saber tooth mobo
8gb g-skill 1600mhz ram
2 x Toshiba 3Tb 7200rpm Mirrored
1 x sandisk usb 3.0 boot drive
thermaltake TR2 S 450W psu

icey_u22

Cadet
Also storing your media in your jail is a bad idea. Add storage to your jail and store your media files in a separate dataset.
awesome can you help me out with fixing that? or point me in the right direction :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In the left pane of the GUI there is a list of your jails. Expand the one for your Plex jail and one of the selections is "add storage". Add your mount point and select the destination dataset where you plan to store your media.

The entire process is outlined in the documentation linked at the top of this page as well as your FreeNAS GUI.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/jails.html#add-storage

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The user guide tells you how to restore your configuration file. While I understand that you are new to FreeNAS, you need to make the effort to read the user guide and perform an internet search for help. Many of us will help but you need to make the effort as well, just like we did and still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.