Loss dataset in Truenas scales

jag5cof

Dabbler
Hello,

I had an accident early to day, I had smb share with three folders, I tried removing the one empty folder. Them my share directory is complete gone. I have snapshots in place. The snapshots doesn’t show the dataset where files were storred. I’m running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4. Can anyone help.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There's not enough information in the OP to help, unfortunately. Per the Forum Rules, please fully describe your hardware, your pool topology, and your dataset structure.

You may have fallen into the misconception snapshots are pool-wide. They're not. They're specific to each dataset, and you'd have needed to have created snapshots for each dataset to recover the missing dataset.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Furthermore, if you've somehow destroyed a dataset (which, unless I'm mistaken, would need to be done through the TrueNAS web UI and gives at least a few warnings), you've also destroyed any snapshots you may have of that dataset.

Davvo

MVP
You may have fallen into the misconception snapshots are pool-wide. They're not. They're specific to each dataset, and you'd have needed to have created snapshots for each dataset to recover the missing dataset.
So if I snapshot my pool, it does not include the dataset within that pool?

Samuel Tai

So if I snapshot my pool, it does not include the dataset within that pool?

No, you've only snapshotted the top-level dataset of your pool. Snapshots aren't recursive.

Davvo

MVP
No, you've only snapshotted the top-level dataset of your pool. Snapshots aren't recursive.
Nice to know, I can delete a task then.

Samuel Tai

I'm a little behind the times. It appears 13 now supports recursive snapshots.

However, it's still good practice to snapshot datasets separately, as datasets can have different snapshot intervals.

jag5cof

Dabbler
There's not enough information in the OP to help, unfortunately. Per the Forum Rules, please fully describe your hardware, your pool topology, and your dataset structure.

Sam, after thinking about it and hoping my my member, I may have just create smb share folder without making a dataset for it. I had three folder in the share folder. I tried deleting an empty folder, but it gave me an error stating I didn’t have permission. The it when “south” from there.

jag5cof

Dabbler

if I tempporary remove one of drives from my Pool. Could I try recovering the files using app like Disk Drill..ie