Removing Dataset Cloned From Snapshot

jlw52761

Explorer
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but here's the situation.
I needed to recover some files out of a snapshot and for some reason over NFS when I go into the .zfs/snapshots/{snapshot} directory it's always a empty directory. If I'm on the box, I can see the contents but there's all kinds of permissions problems with admin.
Anyway, so I decided to clone the snapshot to a new dataset, share that via NFS, and recover my files. That worked. After I was done, I unmounted the share, removed it from TrueNAS, then promoted the cloned dataset to detach it from the snaps. Then, I went to delete. Well, no go, there's all kinds of dependent snapshots. When I go into "Manage Snapshots" for the dataset, I see it's listing all the snapshots from the original dataset, which is like 1300. When I go into the original dataset, I see 8 snapshots, roughly after the time I did the clone, as I have a autosnap that runs every 15 minutes.
So what did I screw up here?
Here's a screenshot, with Pool1/swarm being the original (and heavily used) dataset and you can guess the clone dataset. Between 20:00 and 20:15 is when I did the clone.
1700712506485.png

jlw52761

Explorer
Ok, so I was poking around and noticed that on the original dataset, Pool1/swarm, there was now a Promote button, so I hit it. It seems this "reattached" all the snapshots back to this dataset, and with that I could delete the cloned dataset without issue. I guess I misunderstand, based on the docs, what the Promote actually does, or the fundamental way that ZFS does snapshots. Either or is possible.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, so I was poking around and noticed that on the original dataset, Pool1/swarm, there was now a Promote button, so I hit it. It seems this "reattached" all the snapshots back to this dataset, and with that I could delete the cloned dataset without issue. I guess I misunderstand, based on the docs, what the Promote actually does, or the fundamental way that ZFS does snapshots. Either or is possible.
Thanks for the followup..... I'm sure our docs guys would like direct feedback on how they could help future versions of you.