Problem in recovering a cloned snapshot

massmux

Dabbler
hi guys
i have this problem. I have snapshots replicated on another freenas server. I need to recover files inside this snapshot. I do exactly as described in freenas note:
"""
  1. Clone the desired snapshot.
  2. Share the clone with the share type or service running on the FreeNAS® system.
  3. After users have recovered the needed data, destroy the clone in the Active Volumes tab.
"""
i export the cloned volume as iscsi as the original one. All goes fine.
but when i connect the initiator (xenserver) to the cloned target, it says that i already have a same volume mounted (that infact is the original one, which this cloned is the backup), and then generate network problems maybe for the duplicated name (infact we have both the original and the copy which is identical).

So, how can i connect the cloned iscsi target without conflicting with the original one, until i recover from the volume the files i need?

thanks for everyone who may have an idea or suggestion

kdragon75

Wizard
I don't know much about zen but in vSphere your would need to resignature the volume before you could mount it and two volumes with the same UUID would obviously cause issues. Perhaps xenserver has something similar? Also is this the best way of getting the data you need? does xenserver use a standard filesystem like ext3/4, btrfs, or ufs that you could mount and then pull the needed files?

kdragon75

Wizard
I don't know much about zen but in vSphere your would need to resignature the volume before you could mount it as two volumes with the same UUID would obviously cause issues. Perhaps xenserver has something similar? Also is this the best way of getting the data you need? does xenserver use a standard filesystem like ext3/4, btrfs, or ufs that you could mount and then pull the needed files?

massmux

Dabbler
yes Dragon, you're right the problem is really what you mentioned. I have to mount the backed up iscsi volume in order to have access to the contents from xenserver (the contents are the disks of the xenserver VMs). I though that this re-signature could be done from freenas side, before trying xenserver mount. is there a way to do this from freenas? because on xenserver i dont find any option like this before connecting the iscsi target

kdragon75

Wizard
the contents are the disks of the xenserver VMs
I would have to guess your using iSCSI and sharing a zvol as a LUN. If this is the case, xenserver will need to format and use a filesystem on that LUN. Do you know what that file system is?
is there a way to do this from freenas?
I'm 99% sure the answer is no. If the signature is part of the xenservers file system, FreeNAS would have no way of of understanding let alone modifying this.
what is the EXACT error message and where do you see it?

GEOptic

Dabbler
Hi guys!

I have this situation where the Clone have the same UUID.
A solution would be to mount the iSCSI share to another server ... then copy the files from that server ...
Is there an more staight forward solution?
Like assign a new UUID for clones?

At first I thought I would share the zVol thru SMB ... but ... no ... Can't do that ... block vs file based!

Thanks
---------------

My zVol is an iSCSI share to Centos 7
FreeNas 11.1.U5

kdragon75

Wizard
Hi guys!

I have this situation where the Clone have the same UUID.
A solution would be to mount the iSCSI share to another server ... then copy the files from that server ...
Is there an more staight forward solution?
Like assign a new UUID for clones?

At first I thought I would share the zVol thru SMB ... but ... no ... Can't do that ... block vs file based!

Thanks
---------------
My zVol is an iSCSI share to Centos 7
FreeNas 11.1.U5
If the UUID is part of the filesystem on the zvol, you would have to use external tools much like with VMware and having to resignature a VMFS volume.

Yeah, a zvol is essentially a hard drive. You in theory could share the block device as a file and then mount that on a loop device over smb... Seems like a clumsy, slow, and terrible idea though.

GEOptic

Dabbler
If the UUID is part of the filesystem on the zvol, you would have to use external tools much like with VMware and having to resignature a VMFS volume.

Yeah, a zvol is essentially a hard drive. You in theory could share the block device as a file and then mount that on a loop device over smb... Seems like a clumsy, slow, and terrible idea though.

Any idea why the doc suggest to clone, mount, restore files then delete clone !
Even if the UUID is the same!?

I mount the primary zVol using its UUID... Now I feel stressed tring to restore from clone following the doc!! :)

kdragon75

Wizard
Any idea why the doc suggest to clone, mount, restore files then delete clone !
Even if the UUID is the same!?

I mount the primary zVol using its UUID... Now I feel stressed tring to restore from clone following the doc!! :)
I don't use zen at all and would have to study the storage system to give specific answers.