Status
Not open for further replies.

elangley

Contributor
Hello All,

Problem:
ESX cannot see cloned snapshot data

Configuration:
FreeNAS Volume (VOL1) with a ZFS Dataset (ZFSdataset1).
ZFSDataset1 Permissions are set to Nobody/Nobody.
ZFSDataset1 has a periodic snapshot.
ZFSdataset1 has an NFS share with Mapall User set to Nobody and Mapall Group set to Nobody and appropriate IP network and hosts.
ZFSdataset1 is mounted as a Datastore by ESX (4.1) with read/write capability.

Scenario:
In ZFS Snapshots click on a snapshot and then click Clone Snapshot.
The snapshot is cloned to the same volume name: clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h
In ESX clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h is visible, however when you browse it no files or folders show up and a folder cannot be created (access denied).
The permissions of clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h are the same as the parent.
When browsing clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h with CIFS the files and folders show up and a file can be created.

I tried setting ZFSdataset1 and clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h Permissions recursively but that had no effect.

Stumped!

Your thoughts?

~eric

elangley

Contributor
Quick Update: When I create a separate NFS share mounted to clone-auto-20140113.2314-1h and mount that as an ESX Datastore ESX can read read and write to the volume.

This works but is not as desirable as accessing the cloned volume in the same ESX datastore. Datastore's consume memory on the host and have to be added to every host.

It is strange that CIFS has permissions to the snapshot as a sub diretory item but NFS does not...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pretty much no one uses ESX anymore. It's a deprecated product...

elangley

Contributor
Sorry I meant vSphere. It's not really a VMware issue. It's an NFS permissions issue.

"It is strange that CIFS has permissions to the snapshot as a sub diretory item but NFS does not..."

Status
Not open for further replies.