Restoring VM's from snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Cadet
Now we get to choosing how to connect to FreeNAS. iSCSI just works, mostly. Xenserver supports it natively, and it looks fast because Xenserver does asynch writes to iSCSI. The problem is that I'm really giving up snapshotting ability with iSCSI unless I map iSCSI shares to files, and if I do that then I'll need to create a separate iSCSI share for each VM if I want to be able to rollback a snapshot for a particular VM.

Hello,
Not to drudge up a really old topic but... I have found that restoring a single vm from a cloned snapshot of a NFS SR to be a pretty painful process in XenServer. Because all the disk volume are stored with UUID file names. I have only had to do it once but found the experience to be pretty miserable.
Unless there is some less painful way to recover those discs without going really manual, it seems like recovering from iscsi snapshot as long as you have separate extents for each each VM would be a lot less painful.

vSphere on the other hand keeps your vm disks in a pretty easily identifiable format so NFS seems like it would be way simpler..

What are you guys using to re-import your machines or attach disks to existing machines from cloned snapshot?
Is there a good tool or script out there to simplify the processes on XenServer?

Status
Not open for further replies.