Looking for WiFi AP Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I'm being told by the family that the WiFi is not working so good and since I use a hardwired connection 99% of the time, I'm never affected. I just updated the firmware on the router so I'll give it a few days to see if that fixed it but I doubt it. So it's time to get that problem off my back and purchase a good quality WiFi AP and I'm asking for opinions ('cuz everyone has one).

My requirements are:
Support 2.4Ghz (@ 600Mbps min) and 5Ghz (@ 900Mbps min)
Support for multiple SSIDs
Support for VLANs
And has some decent range for a large house.

What I want to do is replace my present WiFi AP (ASUS RT-AC68W router playing AP) and host four SSIDs as follows:
SSID 2.4Ghz: Family, VLAN1
SSID 5.0Ghz: Family5, VLAN1
SSID 2.4GHz: Devices, VLAN2
SSID 5.0Ghz: Devices5, VLAN2
SSID 2.4Ghz: Guests, VLAN3
SSID 5.0Ghz: Guests5, VLAN3
SSID 2.4Ghz: Testing, VLAN4
SSID 5.0Ghz: Testing5, VLAN4

The routing for the VLANS is all VLANs will end up going through my primary WAN IP except VLAN4 will go though my second WAN IP. And to be honest, all this is subject to change but I do have two WAN IPs and I use the second one for testing out systems I don't want on my primary network.

So that is the idea and I'm looking for inputs.

Dice

Wizard
I'm struggling a lot with getting something similar to work properly at my parents house. Here are some of my trials and errors.

Whatever you do, dont get wireless-wireless repeaters.
Even if at times sort of reliable, they <most of the time> add huuuge latency spikes. I've tried several brands and locations.

Powernet (?) extenders are far better, but my testing shows performance is cut in half through each power splitter they are put through. I've tried several brands and locations. Same story.

Multiple AP's connected by wire is the way to go.
If the model is stating to support roaming, then make sure you get more of that same model.
I have absolutely no faith in cross-brand-roaming to work.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That looks like a nice and cost effective path. I also saw this one which has 2.4Ghz Mbps @ 800Mbps and 5.0Ghz @ 1700Mbps, but the cost was just under $300 US. Any thoughts on the higher priced one?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It would work but I'd say it's a bit overkill for a home user. That's an enterprise level AP that supports a lot of connected devices. IMHO it would be money wasted when the pro will do what you want.

Yeah, worth getting one of the little ones like have been linked. This is especially true if they support mesh networking or 802.11s Then if the one does not cover well enough you just grab a second or third and put them in overlapping area's and the coverage problems are solved.

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#default gives you the options you can look at for different models. Just find one that supports your needs and grab a couple to give yourself great coverage.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You lose half your bandwidth with guest network enabled with the lite version.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
You lose half your bandwidth with guest network enabled with the lite version.
woosha... that's pretty horrific :|

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Jailer That was a very good review, it seemed honest. I think I'm going to grab that software it mentioned and install it on my laptop and map out my home to see how many of these jems I will need to purchase.

The only thing I wish the article had done was a comparison between the Long Range and the Pro. I will see out more specs to see what the differences are becasue if the LR model still offers multiple SSIDs and VLANs, then that is all I really need, and the 200 feet of extra range and lower cost may be the right path. I don't need a Guest SSID where you create passwords that last XX hours and then expire. Eh, more internet searching to be done.

Dice

Wizard

Redcoat

MVP
The only thing I wish the article had done was a comparison between the Long Range and the Pro. I will see out more specs to see what the differences are becasue if the LR model still offers multiple SSIDs and VLANs, then that is all I really need, and the 200 feet of extra range and lower cost may be the right path.

Riding on your coattails here - I've been struggling with range for some wifi cameras.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well it does look like the UAP-AC-PRO is the way to go. It has faster throughput than the LR and one argument keeps coming up... The LR can transmit further however not all WiFi devices can transmit back that far. So I'm now looking to purchase two of the UAP-AC-PRO units but I'm trying to figure out if I just want to start with one now or buy both now. And I need to do some research about the pros and cons on how to mount the devices. I'm sure the answer is on the internet, I just need to look. My specific situation is that I have a basement, main floor, and second floor, approx 4200 SQFT of living space. My router is presently darn close to the center of the house in the stairway going down to the basement. I presently have no spots in the house that I cannot get a good WiFi signal with my present router configured as an AP. I know that mounting the UAP-AC-PRO is best if it's ceiling mounted but what about if I made it wall mounted, how would that impact the signal. Now I can mount it in a ceiling orientation but it would look like a rookie did it and I don't do that anymore. If I had to mount it on the ceiling then I'd have a lot of drilling to make the Ethernet cable (and an extra pull cord) route from inside the wall, through two 2x4's, and into the cieling cavity. Note that the ceiling cavity is actually the floor for the second floor. And one other thing I'd like to know is if the AP radiates upwards (in the direction of it's mount) to ensure it has good coverage on the upper floor.

Okay, while typing this I have concluded that if my present router turned AP can get a signal everywhere, the UAP-AC-PRO should be able to do even better thus I'm buying one today. Now to find the best deal.

EDIT: Okay, the best deal I found (I didn't search long at all) was $116.99 delivered from NewEgg. There is a promo code to get $13 bucks off. Every little bit helps.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Don't think so much as signal direction with an AP. It's more like the signal "fans out" and around things as well as reflecting off of them rather than travels in a direction. A rolling boil in a pot is about the best thing I can think of to describe the signal propagation.

I'm no expert but I did a LOT of reading on AP's recently. I plan on adding this very same one to my network as soon as this home improvement project I'm neck deep in allows me the time to do so. There are better ones out there but for the money this one is hard to beat.

@joeschmuck Add another couple bucks cash back to that if you sign up with ebates and get another two percent back in a couple months. I have been building out a cryptomining rig and right now have about twenty bucks cash back coming to me for the two GTX 1080's I have picked up over the last three months. It's not a ton but every little bit helps. The second one was basically free money since I bought it with the crypto I mined using the first one.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Crypomining, is that the same as bitcoin mining? I ask because I thought it was cost prohibitive to use a computer to bitcoin mine, the power used cost more than the money earned, but if you purchased a high quality ASIC setup (with like 128 or more ASICs) then the money spent could be recouped provided you don't live in an erea with super high cost power. Of course if you just do it for fun like i run BOINC for fun, it doens't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.