Creating Jail makes network go nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

timpj5

Cadet
Ok, so I installed a fresh copy of FreeNAS 9.10 STABLE and configured my ZFS volume this morning. Everything was looking good. Once I started installing plugins, my networking started to go crazy. I started dropping pings to the server and my wireless AP keeps dropping networks. I suspect this has something to do with the jails but I don't know.

Here's my config:

Router - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE - 192.168.1.1
serves DHCP for 192.168.1.0/24 for addresses 192.168.1.21-49/24
connects to GB switch on VLAN1
VLAN interfaces - VLAN2 - 192.168.2.1 - serves DHCP for 192.168.2.21-240/24
VLAN3 - 192.168.3.1 - serves DHCP for 192.168.3.21-99/24
VLAN4 - 192.168.4.1 - serves DHCP for 192.168.4.21-99/24
VLAN5 - 192.168.5.1 - serves DHCP for 192.168.5.21-29/24
WAP - Aruba IAP-205 - 192.168.2.5
Network 2 - VLAN2
Network 3 - VLAN3
Network 4 - VLAN4
Network 5 - VLAN5
FreeNAS1 - 192.168.1.150 (rebuilt server today)
Jail configuration:
Jail location /mnt/ZFSR2-1TB/jails
Jail IPv4 Network: 192.168.1.0/24
Jail IPv4 IP start: 192.168.1.160
Jail IPv4 IP end: 192.168.1.169​

FreeNAS2 - 192.168.1.155 (stable server running FreeNAS 9.2)

After installing plugins and everything went haywire, I stopped all the plugin jails and deleted them and things calmed down a little. I tried installing just one and everything went crazy again. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

nojohnny101

Wizard
can you provide a bit more information.

-What type of jail(s) were you creating?
-Did you manually assign an IP address to the jail from your router setup page?
-Can you be a bit more specific about "everything went haywire". That doesn't help much.

timpj5

Cadet
nojohnny101,

1) I installed several plugins (plex, sabnzbd, sickbeard, sickrage, couchpotato, etc). The IPs originally were assigned as 192.168.1.2-9. I manually changed them which did seem to add to the issues
2) I deleted and updated my jail configuration according to the settings above where they would automatically assign an IP and then manually added the default gateway
3) First, I was connected to my network via my first wireless network (192.168.2.x) and it started disconnecting me. Then it wouldn't allow me to reconnect and the SSID would disappear as though it was causing my AP to reboot. I attempted to connect to my other SSIDs with intermittent success and eventually no wireless networks would allow me to connect. Then I hardwired into the network and was getting intermittent ping from the AP. Pings between networks were unreliable. It's as though there was an IP address conflict but none of the IPs that were assigned existed.

I had read some posts previously about MAC address issues with jails. I verified the MACs to ensure that I wasn't getting duplicate MAC addresses and I wasn't. I did notice that when installing a plugin, during the jail creation it was creating a bridge0 mac address and then a pair0a/pair0b MAC addresses. I only have 1 ethernet connection and I'm not using LAGG.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok. Thanks for providing a bit more information.

The problem is likely to be with your networking setup and not something that FreeNAS is incorrectly. I would start with your router setup.

Also general troubleshooting technique is to only add one variable at a time. Start with just one jail and then see if that one jail triggers the behavior your describing. If so, then destroy it and then try a different jail. If the second jail also creates problems, then destroy that. That will tell you if it is just one specific kind of jail (unlikely) or just creating any jail (likely).

I have never use the DHCP function in jails as I like more control of where my jails are on my network so I always go the manual route. Maybe you can try that?

Also It would simplify things if you eliminated multiple devices in your network like additional APs and range extenders. It is going to be hard to pinpoint problems if you don't know exactly where you are connecting. I would just go straight from the router (if it has built in wireless) and disconnect all other APs to rule out that possibility.

I have a hunch it does have something to do with a conflict of IPs or something similar. Just trying to help you get into the mindset of being methodical in your testing so you can start eliminating variables.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
First post your hardware configuration per the forum rules. Second make sure you are connected to your network via hardwire to eliminate wireless issues. Also list you jail configuration. You've got a lot of variablea to narrow down before any help
can be offered.

dredhorse

Dabbler
Before installing plugins you need to configure the Jails first. There is a default config which will did use all IPs in 192.168.180.0/24 (at least on my FreeNas). If your own network is using the same IP range the jails will kill your network.

Do I read your post correctly, you didn't configure the Jails beforehand but your Network was picked up automatically by FreeNAS? Did you Jails have IPs which where used by your network?

I had the same issue. One of the plugins picked my DGW IP, looks like the code doesn't do a check first if the IP is taken. Also I couldn't get FreeNAS up and running correctly anymore after that issue, Plugins, Jails and Network Tab where throwing "Sorry, an error happened"

Last edited by a moderator:

dredhorse

Dabbler
ok.. fresh install of FreeNAS-9.10.2 (a476f16), the jail config again took 192.168.180.0/24 as network, from 1 to 254. It doesn't even exclude the IP address of Freenas, I will open a bug for that.

pschatz100

Guru
Both timpj5 and dredhorse: your problems are with your network configuration, not FreeNAS itself. If I were you, I would delete all the jails you created and start over.
1) Make certain that FreeNAS is running stable and that you have no problem accessing the webgui.
2) Install one plugin - let the plugin installer create the jail for you. Configure that plugin so that it works the way you want - either with DHCP or with a manually assigned IP address. Make certain it is fully functional without issues.
3) If there are any issues with step 2 above, fix 'em before going any further.

Once you have one jail running properly, then add a second jail. If you want to add the jail manually, give it a try, but I would suggest against it unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.