jail not working with DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzuzzzip

Dabbler
Apparently there is some incompatibility with vlan interfaces on lagg's or something (see this post & this post ).

So following the advice of disabling VIMAGE (when jail is off) and specifying my vlan interfaces works as a workaround to get this working on my system.
Maybe some others are having the same issue.
I was wondering though if there is a bug report for this specific issue I am having? (new to FreeNAS - it hasn't been a week :) )

Brad1976

Dabbler
Fresh install of 9.10. Have the issue of the jails not getting the IP addresses from the DHCP in my router unless I did a full reboot of the FreeNAS server. (That included also manually adding an entry into the DHCP Reservation Table using the MAC address of each jail...) Thing were working nicely. The past few days there had been a few moments of laggieness, but didn't really put too much into it... This morning, everything was working fine. Took my better half to work, came home and all of a sudden my Sickrage plugin isn't responding...

I take a look into it only to realize that the service had shut itself off. I try to restart it via Plugins > Installed and I keep getting the msg "Apr 11 16:42:40 freenas manage.py: [plugins.utils:91] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.xxx.xxx/plugins/sickrage/5/_s/ JSON object could not be decoded". I checked to see if there was an update, there was, and I updated to the latest, version is in my sig...

I have manually restarted the jail via Jails > Jails (yellow happy face looking button at bottom) and it restarts without error and shows the proper IP address for the jail in the table.

I tried executing "service sickrage onestart" and I get the following results:
Code:
 Starting sickrage.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/SickBeard.py", line 564, in <module>
    SickRage().start()
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/SickBeard.py", line 313, in start
    sickbeard.initialize(consoleLogging=self.console_logging)
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickbeard/__init__.py", line 799, in initialize
    gettext.translation('messages', 'locale', languages=[GUI_LANG], codeset='UTF-8').install(unicode=1)
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/lib/python2.7/gettext.py", line 469, in translation
    raise IOError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
IOError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'messages'
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sickrage: WARNING: failed to start sickrage

All my other jails are running fine with no issues, which include transmission, syncthing, plexmediaserver and couchpotato. It's only sickrage that's having the issues...

Tom_

Explorer

Brad1976

Dabbler
Tom_, I wouldn't want to interfere with you bug report, and it appears that as a regular user level account I'm not able to add a comment to it... So if you happen to think that it's worthy to add, I'm having the same problem and I did a full fresh install of 9.10 after reformatting my OS drives to completely blow away the 9.3 install... Cheers! :)

Tom_

Explorer
@Brad1976 good idea. I'll wait and see what the devs say–I don't expect them to have any trouble reproducing the bug, but if they ask for more info I will point them to this thread for sure.

stualden

Explorer
Just in case this is helpful, I wanted to note that I'm having the same issue with the jail for the CrashPlan plugin. Looking at the jail list, you can see that that jail is not getting an address. Plex (the only other jail/plugin that I use) appears to be working fine:

upload_2016-4-22_7-25-10.png

Tom_

Explorer
Yep, I'm not so sure that adding the gateway has completely fixed this issue either. I still have some jails fail to get IPs when I restart them from the GUI. Have to wait for the response from the devs.

stualden

Explorer
I've hard-coded the jail's address as a temporary workaround, and that fixes that issue (for now), but the plugin is still not working (I can't get communication between my front-end and the CrashPlan server). I'm anxious to see what the devs find.

stualden

Explorer
Thanks, I'll take a look. I have no trouble starting the plugin (at least the FreeNAS GUI says it's running), so I had skipped that thread just based on its title.

zuzuzzzip

Dabbler
As said before,

Have you tried disabling VIMAGE (experimental anyway) and selecting a NIC on the jail itself?

Like in the screenshot below.
My vlan100 NIC is a VLAN interface on a lagg.

mddrCzh.png

Last edited:

Schuby

Dabbler
Wanted to jump in and say I am having the exact same issue when creating jails and not having them obtain an IP automatically. I need to manually invoke "dhclient" followed by interface name in each jail manually. I am a brand new FreeNAS user who installed 9.10 fresh for the first time last week. There definitely seems to be an issue of some sort.

Code:
May  5 03:18:39 drwho warden: Building new Jail... Please wait...
May  5 03:18:39 drwho warden: zfs clone Tardis/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail@clean Tardis/jails/headphones_1
May  5 03:18:41 drwho warden: Success!
May  5 03:18:41 drwho warden: Jail created at /mnt/Tardis/jails/headphones_1
May  5 10:18:41 drwho devd: Executing '/etc/pccard_ether epair4a start'
May  5 03:18:41 drwho epair4a: Ethernet address: 02:ff:20:00:08:0a
May  5 03:18:41 drwho epair4b: Ethernet address: 02:ff:70:00:09:0b
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: epair4a: link state changed to UP
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: epair4a: link state changed to UP
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: epair4b: link state changed to UP
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: epair4b: link state changed to UP
May  5 10:18:41 drwho devd: Executing '/etc/pccard_ether epair4b start'
May  5 10:18:41 drwho devd: Executing '/etc/rc.d/dhclient quietstart epair4a'
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: epair4a: promiscuous mode enabled
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair4b
May  5 03:18:41 drwho kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair4b

Last edited:

stualden

Explorer
Does anyone see a bug report that covers this specific issue (which Schuby just described)? I don't. Unless I hear from someone soon, I'll open a ticket.

Schuby

Dabbler
Does anyone see a bug report that covers this specific issue (which Schuby just described)? I don't. Unless I hear from someone soon, I'll open a ticket.

There are a whole bunch:

https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/search?utf8=✓&issues=1&q=An+error+occurred+while+unserializing

It's getting convoluted. Some are being linked to other issues. Some are being closed for no-repo. Here is the one I replied too: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/14638

Edit: I should add that because the jail cannot obtain an IP, the FreeNAS gui cannot load the plugins information (if a plugin is present) thus causing errors like these:

Code:
May  5 03:18:56 drwho manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:630] An error occurred while unserializing from http://192.168.1.203/plugins/headphones/5/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded

Last edited:

stualden

Explorer
Okay, they are probably all related, although none of those reports appear to just come right out and say what you just said ("jail cannot obtain an IP"). Hopefully the developers can connect the dots. For example, in the thread you replied to, the problem was FreeNAS itself not registering a default gateway, which then led to jail address problems. I have no problem with default gateway registration, but jails still do not get handed an IP address.

What has me puzzled is why my existing Plex plugin jail (from 9.3 days) continues to work just fine, but new jails (and an existing CrashPlan plugin jail) did not.

Schuby

Dabbler
Okay, they are probably all related, although none of those reports appear to just come right out and say what you just said ("jail cannot obtain an IP"). Hopefully the developers can connect the dots. For example, in the thread you replied to, the problem was FreeNAS itself not registering a default gateway, which then led to jail address problems. I have no problem with default gateway registration, but jails still do not get handed an IP address.

What has me puzzled is why my existing Plex plugin jail (from 9.3 days) continues to work just fine, but new jails (and an existing CrashPlan plugin jail) did not.

I'm new to FreeNAS, so by all means create a bug or help elaborate on existing bugs if you can. Any help is appreciated.

Tom_

Explorer
Yep, it seems to be a strange issue and I don't really understand why the devs can't reproduce it. Maybe it is because of the NAS hardware or the network environment, as they suggested. They were saying the "no JSON object could be decoded" error was an edge case at first but I'm guessing by now they have realised there's a problem because of all the bug reports.

@stualden I did say in that bug report "when I restart any of my jails from the FreeNAS GUI, they do not get an IP address". At the time when I opened that ticket, I thought this was a symptom of the unregistered default route because when I manually added the default route the problem seemed to go away. Several weeks later I'm not so sure, sometimes I can restart the jails and sometimes I can't. It may be a question of which jail template one is using and/or whether the jail has been updated (e.g. pkg upgrade).

Marcet

Contributor
I'm following this as well. For now, the only workaround I see is manually configure IPs and GW for Jails.

tonarm

Dabbler
I am having the same trouble. Somehow my Transmission Plugin broke. I tried reinstalling. But then I recognized, that it always tries to grab the same IP as my Plex. (Saw it in my Fritzbox) . Trying to start the Plugin it says "Some Error occured" . The icon of the plugin is also broken. Some nice person gave the advise to check connectivity via ping in the Jail command terminal. Nothing helped but setting the jail IP manually while the jail is stopped. and then after a service restart ... life goes on.
Took me a few hours!!! Please fix it Freenas-Crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.