SOLVED DHCP not working with Jail since 11.2-U2 upgrade

nemo1478

Dabbler
I have been running the Plex plugin on FreeNAS 11.2 using DHCP without any issues since the new UI. Plex is the sole purpose of my server and it's the only plugin I have installed. Since I updated FreeNAS yesterday (FreeNAS-11.2-U2 Build Date: Feb 14, 2019 20:8) Plex no longer works. When I check on the Jail it says 'ERROR' under IPv4 Address and the plugin says 'DHCP - Network Issue' under IPv4 Address. The status of both the Jail and the Plugin says UP.

I have never been able to run the Plex plugin with a static IP address since this new iocage jail system was introduced so I accepted the minor inconvenience of having to keep changing the port forwarding on my router every time the dynamic IP address changed and for the most part that worked fine. As you can probably tell I am not too familiar with the workings of FreeBSD. I am primarily a Windows user.

I again attempted to use a static IP address by unchecking DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4, VNET and Berkeley Packet Filter and setting an IP address manually. When I start the Plex jail and plugin, the Plex Web UI loads fine both locally and remotely and I can see all my Movies and TV Shows, however, if I add any new movies, no metadata will download but with TV Shows only some will download. In addition to that only some of my stuff will play and some just won't. I have never has these issues prior to the update. Things are just not working normally.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to begin troubleshooting this problem. Ask for whatever additional information you need and I will try my best to provide it.

Last edited:

dnjordman

Dabbler
I had the same issue. Updated from 11.2-U1 to 11.2-U2 and my jails weren't running and were displaying DHCP errors. Downgraded back to 11.2-U1 and things are working again.

nemo1478

Dabbler
Thank you so much dnjordman!!! Had you not suggested it, I would not have known it was possible. I reverted to 11.2-U1 and all my issues have been resolved. My server is once again fully accessible, all metadata is downloading and all media is playing fine.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is very very much appreciated.

TiboTake

Dabbler
I have the same Problems, i go from 11.2 U1 to 11.2 U2 and my plex via DHCP cant start. A static IP are running but my plex cant
be achieved. So i go back to 11.2 U1.... same Problem.
Than i Go back to 11.2-RELEASE. Now its running.

I think the Problem is not alone in 11.2 U2. The Base i has the begin in 11.2 U1

tstorm

Explorer
You need to change this-> Jails -> Edit Jail -> Network Properties and change vnet-default-interface to "auto" . I use static IPs but if you use DHCP uncheck and check again, save and restart.

nemo1478

Dabbler
You need to change this-> Jails -> Edit Jail -> Network Properties and change vnet-default-interface to "auto" . I use static IPs but if you use DHCP uncheck and check again, save and restart.

I should make this change only if I wanted to use DHCP? What if I want to use a static IP address as well?

What if I want to use a static IP address as well?
Same. I use static. The suggested fix is independent of static/dynamic IPs.

rmwilliam

Cadet
Oh my goodness. One small hidden away change. Thank you soooo much. It fixed my issues. Been banging my head trying work arounds, but this is actually the fix. Cheers! Forgot to say, I only signed up to the forums to say thanks and let others know that this actually works. For those who may find it hard to determine exactly which setting it is, I have circled the sections in my attached screenshot.
Annotation 2019-02-21 211955.jpg

feleven

Dabbler
Just because I'm curious ... why was this "fix" necessary after the U2 update? Was the vnet_default_interface function altered by the update, or was the previous configuration for that field corrupted somehow?

I mean - Its GREAT!! that tstorm offered a solution so quick (thanks man, and I mean it !! I was kinda panicked when Plex couldn't connect after the upgrade), but I'd like to know what happened to make the fix necessary, if anyone knows.

Since I moved my Plex Media Server to an IOCage jail from the "old plugin" warden jail wrapper, the whole system has been super stable and easily upgrade-able without problems. This U2 hiccup sorta rattles my confidence a little.

EzerchE

Cadet
Make sure you have stopped your jail before trying.

Yes of course it is stopped, without that i cant edit. I can edit but cannot save because the button is disabled.

Anyway, i changed disabled button to enabled with "inspecting element" from Chrome, and saved it successfully.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I faced the same problem and fixed it using @tstorm advice and changed the default interface to "auto". I have static IPs setup on my jails and they were manually installed following this popular guide: Iocage Jail Guide